Culture > News

UCSB Shuts Down Campus Parking Lots To Performance Groups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On a campus where classrooms, housing, and studios are limited, many performing arts groups have turned to unusual alternatives for their rehearsal space. Parking garages across campus, specifically Lot 22, have become a makeshift studio space for many bands and performance groups at UCSB. Recently, UCSB posted signs outside these garages, which threatened citations to students who were using the space for activities besides parking. These groups are now left without practice space and many are criticizing UCSB for not providing adequate funding and space for the arts on campus.

When asked about the reasoning behind this new policy Kiki Reyes, UCSB Media Relations Manager, stated that,

“Using a parking structure as a practice space places our students in danger and poses a risk to others who park in the structure. The parking structures are not approved for anything other than parking a car. Campus officials received multiple complaints regarding inappropriate use of the parking structure as well as noise complaints. The Office of Student Engagement & Leadership has been able to help some groups find new space and is working with campus partners and the students to help identify open rehearsal spaces for registered student organizations.”

To find out more about the situation, I spoke with Avital Schwarz, a second year UCSB student and member of Spoontime, a local IV band. Avital and the rest of the members of Spoontime have been utilizing the parking structures on campus since January.

A few weeks ago, upon their arrival at Lot 18, Avital and the other members of Spoontime noticed that all of the power outlets had been covered and shut off. A few days later, at Lot 22, they were greeted with a sign stating that, “persons utilizing parking facilities for other purposes including amplified noise/bands may be subject to citation.” The sign cited Cal. Code Regs. tit. 5 § 100004 which states that, “no non-affiliate may use amplified sound on University Property, without prior approval from the Designated University Official, and subject to such requirements regarding time, place, and manner as the Designated University Official may impose.”

Avital explained that there are limited spaces available for performance groups to practice on or off campus.

“We weren’t using the parking structure because it was the best space ever, but it was the best option we had”

Since then, Avital and the rest of Spoontime have been practicing at her house in Isla Vista, “I’m pretty lucky, I have a big living room we can all fit in.” But in a college town where there are sometimes up to 20 people living in one house, this is not always an option. Avital explained that when her roommates have midterms and need a quiet house to study in, her band is left with no other option.

Many bands began circulating pictures of the sign prohibiting band practice in parking structures throughout social media demanding the administration reconsider this prohibition. Avital explained that she wished UCSB offered a compromise, or an alternative to the parking structures, rather than just taking away what has been a huge resource to performance groups for the last few years.

“Us and all the bands in IV hope we can work with UCSB administration to find a solution that works for both of us and supports the thriving arts and music of our campus instead of getting rid of it”

The music scene is a vibrant, essential aspect of student life at UCSB. On any given night, Gauchos can crack open their windows and hear live music echoing throughout Isla Vista, whether the music is coming from club fundraisers, band parties, or jam sessions. It’s safe to say that UCSB would not be the same without the performance arts groups that comprise our student body, and a solution must be found to preserve this vital part of UCSB’s culture.

Hi! My name is Hailey, I am from Seattle and a third year political science major here at UCSB!