Tips for Your Next Trip to the Thrift Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Thrift stores have become an increasingly popular place for many people to buy cheap yet chic clothing and knick knacks. Often times a trip to the thrift store can be a bit overwhelming because there are just a plethora of items, and sometimes you just don’t really know where or how to begin. Here are some tips to becoming a master in the art of thrifting:

1.Map out stores.

Doing some research and reading reviews on local thrift stores beforehand can help maximize your time in finding what you are looking for.

2. Come dressed to shop.

Sometimes thrift stores may not have a fitting room. To save the embarrassment, wearing neutral colors or a simple outfit can make trying on an item so much easier.

3.Try not to be too particular in finding “the one item”.

I know it’s tempting to not focus on those overalls or that denim jacket that you’re determined to find at a thrift store. It is good to keep an eye out on what you’re trying to find, but often times when we do this, we are blocking out all the other cute possible pieces around the store.

4. Take your time.

The thrift store also happens to be a great place to practice patience. If you are in no rush, browsing through every aisle is the way to go. Normally, I would push all the clothes on the rack on one side then go through every single one of them to find that hidden gem. It may be time consuming, but it is oh so worth it. However, if you are in rush, I would skim through the aisle by finding those prints or materials that automatically catch your eye.

5. Keep an open mind about the fit.

If an item doesn’t fit quite as well as you’d like, think about the ways that you could work around it. Simply tying a belt around, cuffing sleeves, or tucking in can be a great way to test out the versatility of a piece.

6. Keep an open mind about the style.

The thrift store is also a great and cheap place to be bold with your style. This is a place to find those unique, rare finds. It’s a great opportunity to be adventurous with your style with little extra costs.

Awesome, now you’re ready to go thrifting! Now go pop some tags and make Macklemore proud.

Kyrene is a third year Global Studies major. She is an Editorial Intern and a PR Intern for UCSB Her Campus. Kyrene is from the southern Californian city of Covina. She enjoys meeting people, exploring new places, and taking roadtrips with friends. On her spare time, you can find her playing guitar, experimenting with outfits, relaxing with music, or catching up with shows on her "to watch" list.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay