This Is Your Sign To Go To An Improvability Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

A few Fridays ago, my friends and I headed down to Embarcadero Hall to check out Improvability’s The Barbie Show. I’d wanted to attend one of their shows for a while, and the Barbie theme was just too good to miss! After watching one show, I think Friday nights at improv might just have to become a weekly thing!

When the show started, the cast came out all dressed as their own personal Barbie. I knew right from the start this was going to be good — what I didn’t expect was just how good it would be. 

dance scene in Barbie movie
Warner Bros

The cast blew me away with their level of wit, ability to create a story, and downright hilarious sense of humor. The show was split into several different games, each calling for a different scenario that the cast must go along with. The host also frequently called for ideas and suggestions from the audience, which made us feel like part of the show. They kept us on our toes and even pulled out a few tricks that you’ll just have to experience for yourself. 

It was also very clear that the cast was having the time of their lives up on stage. Their dynamic and interactions with one another were refreshing and truly made the show. 

One cast member expressed, “What makes Improvability really special is how close the team is; I legitimately love everyone on the team… it’s a group of friends embarrassing themselves and putting on the wackiest scenes we can possibly imagine for the entertainment of the audience. It has definitely been one of my favorite experiences of college and to be able to do it alongside such incredible people has made it even more fun and exciting!”

Each week, the cast takes on a different theme that inspires their costumes and skits, with some of the upcoming ones being “The D is for Disco Show,” “The Jungle Show,” and “The Musical Show.” Now, these all sound like shows I wouldn’t want to miss! 

Some of my friends who have been going weekly for a while told me that their first show was an unreal experience in terms of how much they laughed. And I must say as someone who naturally laughs at everything, even I haven’t laughed that hard in a while. 

One devoted audience member shared, “Going to an Improvability show gives me the opportunity to see friends of mine expressing themselves and their creativity in a way I don’t normally get to experience. I have never watched a show without laughing out loud with my friends in the audience, and it has become one of our favorite traditions to grab a snack and head to improv each week.” 

So if you’re looking for a good laugh, or just want to try something new this Friday night, check them out at @improvability on Instagram and every Friday night at 8pm at Embarcadero Hall.

So, will I see you there? If you’re following the first rule of improv, that’s a yes! 

Hi! My name is Maddie Besnard, and I'm a third-year Communication major and French minor at UC Santa Barbara. I'm originally from Orange County, and I love hot yoga, dancing, traveling and country music.