The Stanley Revolution: What’s The Big Deal Anyway?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The 2020s may go down in history as the decade dominated by reusable water bottles. Whether you’re sipping from a Hydroflask, rocking an Owala, or showing love to Stanleys, everyone’s on a quest for the hottest water bottle of the year. Remember the days of sticker-covered Hydroflasks accessorized with a scrunchie? Well, hold onto your bottle caps because now the hype has shifted to the legendary Stanley Cups. But here’s the twist — this newfound obsession isn’t completely innocent; there’s more to it than meets the eye!

If you’ve scrolled through social media lately, you’ve probably stumbled upon videos of people battling in the aisles of Target over what? That’s right… a cup. But don’t worry, you’re not alone in the confusion! The demand for Target’s limited edition “Galentine’s Day” Stanley collection has caused an uproar across the nation. From heated showdowns to relentless stampedes and even jaw-dropping resale prices, you might be wondering, what’s the deal with Stanleys anyway? Let’s unravel the mystery behind the sudden popularity of Stanleys and why the world is losing it over these cups.

Where The Hype Began

Alright, let’s spill the tea (water?) on Stanleys. These aren’t just your run-of-the-mill water bottles, they’re practically a cult phenomenon. But who’s the front and center of the Stanley lineup? Meet the “Quencher H2.0,” which has the girlies in a chokehold over its sleek design and the wide variety of colors to choose from. But here’s the kicker: Stanley isn’t a new kid on the block. Nope, the brand has been in the game for over a century. Wrap your head around that! Despite being an OG brand, it’s suddenly all the rage. So, what contributed to Stanley’s recent rise to fame?

The Stanley craze took off in early 2023, riding the wave of the “clean girl aesthetic.” This aesthetic, defined by its emphasis on smooth and clear skin, claims hydration to be the key to that radiant glow. Enter the Stanley Cup, hailed as the ultimate hydration game-changer. It quickly became the go-to for those seeking the secret to a flawless complexion in the world of beauty and self-care.

The Stanley hype reached new heights thanks to a viral TikTok posted by user @danimarielettering in November 2023. Danielle Lettering, the woman behind the video, experienced a car fire that turned everything into ashes — well, almost everything. What emerged unscathed? You guessed it, her trusty Stanley. Not only did this iconic cup defy the odds, but the ice inside it also remained intact.

@danimarielettering

Thirsty after you catch on fire? @Stanley 1913 is like no problem i gotchu #fyp #carfire #accident #stanleycup

♬ original sound – Danielle

Terence Reilly, the president of Stanley, caught wind of Danielle’s video. His response? Pure gold. He stated, “Well, we’re going to send you some Stanleys, but there is one more thing. We have never done this before and we will probably never do it again, but we’d love to replace your vehicle.” Talk about quality customer service!

@stanleybrand

#stitch with @Danielle Stanley has your back ❤️

♬ original sound – Stanley 1913

Alright, let’s cut to the chase — the Stanley fever is no joke, and there’s some solid reasoning behind it. I mean, it’s a cup that can help you stay hydrated and survive a car fire! Now, if that’s not a reason to jump on the Stanley bandwagon, what is? Clearly, I’m not the only one thinking this way. Allow me to introduce you to the Target incident of 2024!

Target x Stanley Collab

Now here’s where things start to get crazy. On December 31, 2023, Target released a limited edition “Galentine’s Day” collection. The collection consisted of two 40 oz Stainless Steel H2.0 Quencher Tumblers in colors Cosmo Pink and Target Red. The demand for these cups was more than anyone could’ve expected. A viral TikTok posted by user @victoria_robino_26 showcased a stampede of eager Stanley enthusiasts racing to snag these limited-edition cups. And just like that, in the blink of an eye, they vanished from the shelves, leaving everyone in awe of the chaos that ensued.

Those lucky enough to score the desired Stanleys are turning the game into a resale showdown on websites like eBay. According to GQ Magazine, “The $50 mugs are reselling at an average price of $110 and have been going for as high as $215.” Sneaker resellers better watch out, you got some competition!

The hype around Stanleys is off the charts — seriously, it’s like nothing I’ve ever witnessed before! Honestly, I’m caught between being seriously impressed and a tad scared. One thing’s for sure, you won’t find me in a wrestling match just to snag one, no matter how adorable they might be!

Hey I’m Isabella and I’m a first year pre-communications major at UCSB! I love Taylor Swift, reading, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!