The Second American Revolution: Taylor Swift And Travis Kelce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The Battle of Lexington and Concord, generally recognized as the beginning of the American Revolution, took place on April 19, 1775. However, the second American Revolution occurred on September 24, 2023, when Taylor Swift showed up to the Kansas City Chiefs game in support of Travis Kelce. It seems that Kelce has persuaded the Anti-Hero singer to leave the Brits for good.

It’s A Love Story

If you’ve been living under a rock for the past few months, you may have missed the chaos surrounding the rumors of Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s alleged romance. Everything started on July 8, when Kelce was spotted in the crowd at Swift’s infamous Eras Tour. Swifties went wild, to say the least. A few weeks later on July 26, Kelce discussed the matter in an episode of his joint podcast, New Heights, with his brother, Jason Kelce

Kelce reveals he learned that Swifties who attended the Eras Tour had a custom of creating and exchanging friendship bracelets with one another. He made one with his phone number, with the intention of giving it to Swift. 

However, he admits he was disappointed to discover that she doesn’t talk to anyone prior to or following her shows, which unfortunately prevented him from “shooting his shot.” “If you’re up on Taylor Swift concerts, there are friendship bracelets and I had received a bunch of them, but I wanted to give Taylor Swift with my number on it,” he claimed.

Up until September 21, it seemed as though all hope was lost for the Chiefs’ player. On The Pat McAfee Show, Kelce disclosed that he “threw the ball in her court.” He stated, “I told her, ‘I’ve seen you rock the stage in Arrowhead, you might have to come see me rock the stage in Arrowhead.’” I guess it’s safe to say she took him up on that offer!

Who’s Travis Kelce Anyway?

The unexpected pairing has resulted in a phenomenon over various social media sites. Swifties all over TikTok are pranking their significant others by insisting that Swift put the two-time SuperBowl champion on the map.

The trend, started by Claudia Oshry, begins with people secretly recording their partners. Then they imply that Swift is the reason for Kelce’s fame and watch as their partners go wild. As Oshry stated, “Isn’t it, like, so crazy how Taylor Swift, like, invented Travis Kelce?” It is quite entertaining to watch the football fans get fired up insisting that Kelce was famous far before his sighting with Swift. 

Ketchup and…Seemingly Ranch?

You may also have wondered why companies like Heinz appear to be advertising a new product named “Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch.” This is all thanks to the fan account @tswifterastour, which tweeted a picture of Swift captioned, “Taylor Swift was eating a piece of chicken with ketchup and seemingly ranch!” Heinz decided to poke fun at the tweet and released a new condiment called “Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch” in celebration of the singer and football player’s blossoming relationship.

But Heinz isn’t the only company with a sense of humor. Since then numerous other companies have hopped on the “Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch” train as well. 

The Empire State Building in New York displayed its support for the couple that night by lighting up in the “Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch” colors.

Walmart quickly followed suit, tweeting a Photoshopped aisle dedicated entirely to “Seemingly Ranch”.

Even McDonalds took advantage of this perfect marketing opportunity by promoting a “Definitely McNuggets” deal completed with a side of “Seemingly Ranch” via their app.

That’s about as American as it gets!

Economics (Taylor’s version)

Yet, the Swiftie-NFL crossover appears to be transcending barriers and forging new connections. In a variety of ways, the unexpected relationship has had a large impact. Sports merchandise company, Fanatics, reports that Kelce jersey sales have skyrocketed. After Swift’s attendance, Travis Kelce’s jersey sales spiked up a whopping 400%. Looks like the Eras Tour isn’t the only time the 12-time Grammy winner boosted the economy

Her appearance affected viewership as well. A whopping 24.3 million people watched that Sunday’s game, with the leading demographic being females. According to ESPN, the number of female viewers aged 12-17 increased by nearly 8%

Guess you could say this is the NFL (Taylor’s Version).

Hey I’m Isabella and I’m a first year pre-communications major at UCSB! I love Taylor Swift, reading, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!