The Ten People You Meet During Sick Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The good news: it’s sweater season. The bad news: it’s also sick season. Between the cough-filled lecture halls and the nose-blowing in the bathrooms, you’re going to run into a lot of different people, and here’s a quick rundown of who to expect. See how many you can spot!

1. The “I’m So Done” Squad

These people knew it was coming. Contagion was inevitable. They don’t fight it. They’ve submitted to harsh reality long ago. It’s just a matter of time before they’re taken.

2. The Early Bird

They somehow managed to get sick before the season even started. Also the first person to get well (probably) and then proceeds to relax, knowing the worst is over.

3. Thinks They’re Immune

The person with a self-proclaimed immune system of steel. Refuses to take any extra sanitary measures. Is baffled when they wake up feeling like a lump of ooze.

4. Actually Is Immune

Inexplicably gets through the entire sick season without the faintest cough or tickle in the throat. You’re 78% certain this person is secretly a wizard.

5. That Jerk…

…who sits behind you in class or on the bus, and keeps coughing/sneezing on you. Evidently has not heard of a tissue. Or their elbow.

6. The Incontestable Mom Friend

This type is few and far between. Has two different containers of hand sanitizers handy (ha ha) at all times, and constantly reminds you to wash your hands.

7. In-Denial

Gets sick, but refuses to acknowledge it. “Just a bit of dust” becomes their catchphrase, and they refuse to even think about not attending class.

8. Miserable Jumble of Germs

Crying on the inside. And the outside.

9. Unapologetic Health Nut

Like the mom friend, this person has an obsession with spare tissues, washing their hands 859 times a day, and vitamin C. Unlike the mom friend, they don’t share. If you touch their hand sanitizer, you might get your germs on it.

10. Flash Hermit

Mysteriously vanishes after hearing the first sniffle. Doesn’t resurface until all the colds are gone.

Have you spotted any of these people around campus? Maybe you relate to one of them? Leave a comment!

Tamara is a Communication major at University of Califonia, Santa Barbara. Having grown up in the Mojave desert, Tamara can't get enough of the dream weather and natural beauty of Santa Barbara. When not studying or working on her novel, she spends her free time listening to music, crafting, exploring the world around her, and settling into a corner with a good book.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay