taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
Taylor Swift / Republic

Swifties’ Opinions On 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On October 27, 2023, Taylor Swift released her re-recording of her iconic pop album 1989. With the release of these new “Taylor’s Version” tracks, there has been a lot of discourse in the Swiftie community. Some Swifties love the re-recordings, while others prefer the original sound of the 2014 version.

What I noticed was that there was a significant increase in backlash on social media for this re-release compared to its precursors. I think this is because many Swifties have a strong personal connection to 1989 as an era. It is a difficult task for Taylor to bring justice to the original while still having the space to share a more mature sound. 

Visuals and Vibes

To further explain why Swifties were upset, one needs to understand that many Swifties associate 1989 with very specific imagery such as New York City skyscrapers and exciting new experiences. When Taylor released her Instagram 1989 photoshoot, many mentioned that the new 1989 album covers and promotion images were beach-focused and that Taylor was marketing the album as a “Beach Album.” This is different from the NYC urban city vibes that Swifties loved about 1989.

I believe the beach scenery is more fitting of the re-recordings, and Taylor looks visibly happy in all the promotion photos. This shows how she re-recorded the tracks as a person who can now look back on her experiences from that time in a more positive light.  

The Songs Sound Different!

A lot of people expect the re-recordings to be near carbon copies of the original, but I think this is a bit counterintuitive. Taylor has grown and changed as an artist and her influences and production are bound to have changed since 2014. However, I recognize that some people just prefer the original sound and perspective more, which is valid.

Annicka Dadvar, a UCSB Swiftie, says, “I enjoy some parts of the re-recording. The positives are definitely the new songs, but the negatives would have to be that some of her classics sound a bit off and not 1989-esque.” Many agree that the production is closer to the style of the recent Midnights album, produced by Jack Antonoff. The synth-style production choices are apparent, but as Annicka illustrates, “…she spent too much effort trying to replicate the exact way of singing of the original songs that the songs sounded more restrained, especially compared to the Vault songs.”

Another UCSB Swiftie, Lucy Dixon, confesses that “I did enjoy the re-recording! I think it has the same sounds as the original album but elevated. Her vocals are great too, they are much more well-rounded and strong.” I would agree! The songs do sound different, but it feels like she is coming from a place of understanding of where she is now in comparison to who she was then. Her statements feel more concrete, and less questioning. 

Lucy comments on the online discourse:  “People online and my friends have said that the Vault Tracks don’t sound like 1989, and their production is similar to Midnights’. But the lyrics are reminiscent of the 1989 era.” Though many people had mixed feelings about the re-recordings of the 2014 hits, many Swifties can agree that the “Vault Tracks” were the star of the release.

VAult Tracks

I have to agree that my favorite part of the re-release was the new “Vault Tracks.” With every re-release, Taylor shares a few old songs from that era (from “The Vault”) that she chose not to include in the original. I think that many people have an emotional attachment to the original tracks and how they should be showcased, but with the vault tracks, Taylor has more leeway for creative style. The new tracks are so fun and emotion-filled, which many, such as internet star, Kennedy Walsh, enjoy.

Annicka shares,  “The Vault songs are AMAZING, I love “‘Slut!,’” “Now That We Don’t Talk,” ”Suburban Legends,” and “Is It Over Now?” Lucy also agrees, “I love the Vault Tracks even though people think they don’t sound like 1989. I think that it’s impossible to top the seamlessness of the Red (Taylor’s Version) Vault so I’ll take what I can get. Sure, they don’t sound like 1989 but they are so good it doesn’t even matter.” I would recommend taking a listen to these tracks with an open mind so you can appreciate Taylor’s lyrical genius!

Conclusion

I believe 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is adorned with nostalgia which makes me happy as someone who grew up with the album. I can almost hear Taylor smiling through her vocals. There is more of a reflective tone than the original, which makes it feel like looking back at how much fun we all had with this album. 

This reminds me of how Taylor talks about performing her old songs for the Eras tour. She explains how when she first started performing these songs, she was really upset and hurt by her experiences. But, when she saw them sung with such love at every show, she saw the songs differently

The issues that plagued her when she recorded 1989 have fallen to the side, and she now enjoys performing these tracks for her fans. I believe that this is evident in her re-recordings. She knows people loved the original, but since then, it has become something greater and something bigger than just herself.

Hello! My name is Ella Bailey and I am a Freshman at UCSB. My pronouns are she/her. I am an English major with an interest in the Arts and Culture. I love painting, visiting museums and coffee shops, and discussing music with my friends. This is my first year as a Her Campus editorial intern, and I am so excited to learn from and be surrounded by other writers and creatives!