Sustainable Brands That You Have to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We should all start taking sustainability a little more seriously. I don’t mean shifting to a zero-waste lifestyle overnight, because that is just unrealistic, but incorporating subtle changes into your normal lifestyle can make a huge difference when it comes to reducing your carbon footprint. One of the easiest ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle is shopping from brands that are ethical and environmentally conscious. Below are a few of my favorite brands that are eco-friendly and I hope they soon become your faves too! 

Youth to the People 

Youth to the People (YTTP) is a 100% vegan skincare brand based out of California. All of their skincare products come in glass bottles, and recyclable paper boxes to reduce unnecessary plastic waste. The beauty industry is known for generating an immense amount of waste, so this alone is a step in the right direction. In addition to their glass products, YTTP products are vegan, cruelty-free, and sourced from local suppliers. When you use Youth to the People you can be confident that the products you are using are safe and healthy, not only for your skin but for the environment as well. Sounds like a win-win to me! 

Mighty Market 

It would be wrong of me to not include this company when raving about sustainable brands. Mighty Market is located in Martinez, CA, which happens to be my hometown. This is a female-founded refill apothecary and sustainable goods market that has everything you need to make the shift to a more eco-conscious lifestyle. They have a variety of different products from skin, and hair care, to household necessities that will not disappoint you or the environment. They also have a refill system for local residents to bring in empty bottles and jars and refill them with soaps, shampoo, conditioner, household cleaners, and more! Of course, the location may not be ideal for everyone, but don’t let this stop you from checking out their website for product delivery. Mighty Market is a one-stop shop for all your sustainable essentials. 

CHNGE

CHNGE is a clothing brand that uses sustainable fabrics and fair trade production to create high-quality clothing promoting social and political change in our society. Their clothing is made from 100% organic cotton to reduce water and energy waste. Not only is this company sustainable, but it also donates to organizations that fight climate change, push for civil rights, protect LGBTQ+ lives, and educate underprivileged youth (to name a few). Let 2021 be the year you start buying clothing that makes a difference. 

Supergoop!

Finding a natural and sustainable SPF that is still protective can be challenging. Supergoop! Is a sunscreen brand that has eco-friendly packaging and is fully recyclable. This sunscreen is cruelty-free and steers away from harsh chemicals like oxybenzone that is known for toxifying the ocean and killing our coral reefs. On their website, you can find a “no” list of common SPF ingredients that you will never see in their products. It is important to know what you’re putting on your skin so that you can protect yourself and our oceans from harsh ingredients.

Calirae.co 

Calirae.co is an eco-friendly, luxury swimwear company based in Australia. This company uses polyester from recycled plastic bottles to create the best sustainable fabrics for their pieces. The pieces are supplied from ethical, fair trade factories to ensure quality production and fair labor for their employers. It’s time to kick fast fashion to the curb and start purchasing from brands that actually care about their impact on the environment. Our earth is worth the increased product price. 

Roxanne is a senior Film and Media studies major at UCSB. She was born and raised in the Bay Area but has made Santa Barbara her home for the past five years. When Roxanne isn't writing or spending hours catching up on Youtube videos, you can find her working with children or at the beach with friends!