The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Knowing who you’re purchasing from is always a good thing to keep in mind. There have been a ton of large successful companies that have appropriated Indigenous designs in their products, and stealing these concepts only leaves large economic blows on Indigenous businesses. It’s important that we purchase from authentic brand names—ones that give back to Indigenous communities and are all manufactured sustainably.To do this, I created a list of Indigenous-owned brands for you to take a look at!

1. Urban native era

Urban Native Era started out of San Jose, California by Joey Montoya, and his clothing brand was meant to garner more visibility for Indigenous communities across America. From sweatshirts, to footwear, to accessories, Urban Native Era offers a grand collection that’s all been produced through sustainably certified manufacturers. Their brand can be recognized by its hummingbird icon, as these tiny creatures are believed to bring fire and balance to the world.

In addition, their “You Are On Native Land” collection of shirts, hats, and pants are some of the most popular pieces to purchase. Their designs can also be seen in FX’s TV series Reservation Dogs where Paulina Alexis’s character, Willie Jack, can be seen repping the maroon cap. I have one of these cool caps myself, which I totally love! You can find all of their collections at their Los Angeles location as well, and I encourage you all to stop by.

2. eighth generation

Owned by the Snoqualmie tribe, this Seattle-based brand offers a broad range of accessories like jewelry, totes and hip bags, candles, and art prints! The brand was founded in 2008 by Louie Gong (Nooksack), who is an artist, activist, and educator on the interconnectedness of Coastal Salish Art and identity. 

What’s most impressive about Eight Generation is that they’re the first Native-owned company to sell wool blankets, emphasizing their “Inspired Natives” project to challenge culturally appropriated products that are dubbed as “Native-inspired.” Raising awareness on the economic impact of cultural appropriation is just one of their missions, as they also partnered with Starbucks on the Decolonizing Partnership Model to support Native artists and their work.

Eighth Generation has a broad range of beautifully made products, and here’s a fun fact for you: their blankets can be spotted in Marvel’s Oscar-winning film, Wakanda Forever

3. QUW’USTUN’ MADE

This sustainable brand was created by Arianna Lauren in 2016, who is a part of the Quw’utsun’/Cowichan tribes. Starting out with just a small array of candles and salves made from plant extract, Lauren was able to connect with other knowledge keepers in Turtle Island. There, she was inspired to create more accessible medicines for her community, which ultimately led to the creation of Quw’ustun’ Made.

Quw’ustun’ Made has been featured in popular fashion magazines and companies like Elle and Ralph Lauren, so their products are definitely on the rise! From facial care to fragrances, Quw’utsun’ Made has a wide variety you’re sure to love. You should especially check out their best-seller, the Devil’s Club salve, which is scented with eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils. The great thing about their products is that they’re all 100% vegan and cruelty free!

4. B.Yellowtail

If you’re looking to add dresses and outerwear to your closets, then B.Yellowtail is a great option for you! The brand is entirely owned by Native American women dedicated to offering authentic Indigenous designs to their customers. The award-winning founder, Bethany Yellowtail, is a citizen of the Northern Cheyenne Nation and comes from the Mighty Few District of the Apsáalooke Nation.

Highlighting Indigenous authenticity and artistry is Yellowtail’s mission, and the brand offers an incredible range of clothes for you to choose from, especially from the Medicine Wheel Collection! There you’ll find clothing inspired by the Medicine Wheel’s symbolism of personal power and wellness, and you can read about Bethany Yellowtail’s process in her reflective piece, Teachings From Our Ancestors that’s featured on the site.

5. RAVEN READS

If you’re a bookworm like I am, then Raven Reads is a great opportunity to discover stories written by Indigenous and Native American authors. Entirely Indigenous and women-owned, the brand was originally established to raise awareness on Indigenous histories and stories. From fiction to nonfiction, you can choose from a broad range of genres, whether it be informative or for pure entertainment. You can also purchase a giftbox that includes a book and an assortment of accessories, which is a perfect gift for your family and friends!

Purchasing from Raven Reads would support Indigenous authors and entrepreneurs, and I highly recommend checking out their article on books written by Two-spirit authors, which all look interesting to read!

I hope you all get the chance to look through these great brands, as purchasing from them would mean supporting Indigenous creators and communities. Happy shopping!

Sofia is a third-year Writing & Literature major at UCSB. In her free time, she enjoys watching anime, playing video games, and drinking chai tea.