Super Bowl LVIII: Usher’s Journey To Halftime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The time has come. As everyone begins to prepare themselves for the wild ride that the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs are sure to bring to this year’s Super Bowl, the prep-work seems daunting. 

You might be hosting a watch party this year complete with catering, decorations, and an open bar. Maybe you are going to someone else’s party, but you need to find the picture-perfect outfit that screams, “I love my team,” while also keeping you comfortable enough to put away as many hot wings as physically possible. 

There is so much planning that goes into the next couple of weeks, as I am sure you are aware. My goal is to lessen the many stressors in your life right now, and this involves preparation for those you might have forgotten about, such as the event of the year: the halftime show. 

I love football as much as the next person, but to be honest I will be watching this year’s super bowl for Usher, arguably one of our generation’s most talented R&B artists.

In order to enjoy Usher’s halftime show to the fullest extent, I find it necessary to take a step back and review his accomplishments spanning a nearly three-decade career, just as a simple refresher of his influence on the music industry. 

An Usher Timeline 

Though it is hard to believe, Usher, whose full name is Usher Raymond IV, was not born as one of the best selling artists of all time

His debut song, “Think of You,” was released in 1994 when he was only fifteen years old. Usher’s producer at the time was legendary artist Sean John Combs, known professionally as P-Diddy, so it’s no surprise that the release of this song catapulted Usher’s career. 

Usher continued to release music fairly consistently over the next ten or so years, but his big break occurred with the release of his fourth studio album, Confessions, in 2004 that eventually became a diamond-certified album in his discography. 

To this day, the songs on Confessions, such as “Yeah!,” and, “My Boo,” remain as two of Usher’s most popular tracks. While some artists release huge hits and then drop off the music scene, Usher proved these songs were just the beginning.

Usher released three of his biggest hits, “Love in This Club,” “There Goes My Baby,” and “Climax,” in 2008, 2010, and 2012, respectively. He even coached during both seasons 4 and 6 of The Voice, where he led his contestant, Josh Kaufman, to victory in his latter season.

Usher’s Best Music 

Usher has released eight albums, and holds claim to 18 Billboard Top 10 entries and nine Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 hits, so he is no stranger to churning out absolute bops. 

Among his many award-winning albums, however, some songs stand out. When curating your halftime-show-hype playlist, the songs I would recommend are as follows:

1. “Yeah!

Undeniably Usher’s most recognizable song, “Yeah!,” has been played just as frequently at clubs as it has been at middle school dances.

2. “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love

Ever since this iconic song was made into a Minecraft parody, it has remained on all of my playlists—both the regular and Minecraft versions that is.

3. “Love in This Club

Long before this song was trending on Tik Tok, it was gracing dance clubs across the country, prompting many to belt the lyrics out to their significant other.

4. “More – RedOne Jimmy Joker Remix

I feel like this song does not receive enough praise, especially considering it has personally brought me from my chair directly to the dance floor multiple times.

5. “Without You

While writing this article, I serenaded my roommates with this song to remind them of its supremacy, and of how much I love them. Needless to say, it is a classic.

With somebody as talented and successful as Usher headlining this year’s halftime show, it is sure to be entertaining. My hope is that now you are sufficiently prepared to enjoy it in all of its glory!

Ally Jobe

UCSB '27

Ally is a first year Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara, where she finds particular joy in running, reading poetry, and admiring the sunset. She is elated to be a part of such an amazing group of writers, and she hopes, above all, that her work brightens your day.