This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

By applying to study abroad, you can take a step toward making your dreams of traveling into reality! Studying abroad has been a dream of mine since I was a young child. Traveling and experiencing different cultures has been a huge passion and desire of mine for my entire life. My mother took me to Paris and London for my fifteenth birthday and since then, I knew that Europe was a continent that I couldn’t get enough of. I always thought that I wanted to study abroad somewhere in Italy, but that all changed when, upon doing research, I stumbled upon my new dream: Copenhagen, Denmark. 

Being the planner that I always have been, I knew from a young age that I wanted to go to a UC school because of how well-known and accessible their study abroad program is. When I was accepted to UCSB during my senior year of high school, I was over the moon and already began to fantasize about studying abroad. My adventure truly began right there and then, as one tab now held my acceptance letter, and the other the UCEAP website.

All UC schools use one system for studying abroad, UCEAP (University of California Education Abroad Program) UCEAP, making it a very easy process of applying. There are hundreds of programs to select from, and there is one application for all schools per program. It is a fairly simple process that typically begins about nine months before departure. In my case, I started researching as soon as I could, but there is really no need to do so until around nine months before your desired abroad quarter. After choosing a program, there is personal information to fill out, followed by four short answer questions asking about personal motives for studying abroad.

I decided that I would start filling out an application this past fall so that I could study abroad in the summer. I immediately filtered my program search to Italy, but something held me back; I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I decided to turn the search filters off and peek at my other options, although at this time I still had my heart set on Italy. I sifted through every program that offered Communication credit, and there was one that particularly caught my eye: Copenhagen Business School Summer.

If I am being completely honest, the only thing I knew about Copenhagen was that it is the capital of Denmark. I did some research, watched way too many travel vlogs, and scrolled through many articles. I became utterly obsessed with everything I learned about Copenhagen, and something clicked. It just felt right. I had an overwhelming feeling of curiosity for this unfamiliar, new, and promising city. This was the place I now had my heart set on studying abroad. 

I filled out my application, submitted it, and waited in suspense to hear back. In mid-December, I opened my inbox to check for any general emails, and low and behold an email with the subject: “Congratulations!” surfaced. I was flooded with excitement for the opportunity that had become my dream come true. I had been nominated to participate in the program which meant living out my imagined Scandinavian Summer! 

Denmark is a country in the Scandinavian region. I grew up learning about other parts of Europe, but knew very little about the Scandinavian region. Had I not done my own personal research, I would have missed out on the amazing culture and region that this part of Europe has to offer. Copenhagen quickly became a city that I could imagine living out my dreams in. From their amazing quality of life to their renowned food, as well as their sights and the general vibe of the city, there is something so special and unnameable that draws me to this city. There are so many things about the culture in Denmark that I want to learn and carry with me into my adult life, and I cannot wait to begin my adventure in June.  

Studying abroad is a remarkable opportunity that UCSB highly encourages and makes possible. As a UC student, it can be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to live in a new country and find yourself while finding new corners of the world that you can shape into your own experience. In college, and in your transitive period from late teenage years to early adulthood, planting a seed of growth and possibility in a new country can be daunting; but I really hope for everyone, and myself, that it will be rewarding as well.

Hello! I am a third year Communication major here at UCSB. I love trying new food places, going to museums, getting coffee with friends, and traveling. I am so excited to write and share my life, thoughts, and experiences.