This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Falling asleep with makeup on, not cleansing, or failing to moisturize can affect the appearance of your skin! It’s time to change that. When we’re young is when we should start taking care of our skin and start preventing unwanted lines and wrinkles – because we want to appear (Beyoncé voice), “Forever Young.”

Cleanse: Nighttime cleansing is important because skincare ingredients are absorbed deeper on a fresh face. Skincare products work their best while we’re sleeping because blood flow is higher and recovering from environmental stressors! Daytime cleansing is also great because it helps reduce excessive oil production of the skin.

Note: Avoid soap bars! Ingredients can strip the skin, cause dryness and tightness.

Exfoliating: A gentle exfoliator is great for removing dead skin cells from the surface, which can make your skin look dull and flaky.

Note: Exfoliators should be used 2-3 times a week or every other day. Over exfoliating can cause irritation, redness, excessive dryness and tightness of the skin.

Eye cream: We may think that we’re too young to be wearing eye creams, eeeh! Wrong!! The skin around our eyes is the thinnest and the most sensitive so it ages the quickest. Using an eye cream around the area can help increase hydration, prevent premature lines or reduce the appearance of them, reducing puffiness and dark circles.

Moisturizer: Moisturizing day and night after cleansing keeps skin hydrated and increases elasticity. Moisturize even if you’re oily!!!! Oily skin produces extra oil due to lack of hydration. Moisturizing helps maintain a water-oil balance in the skin, which helps minimize the amount of excess oil production.

Note: Avoid body lotions on the face. The skin on our body is thicker so body lotions tend to be heavier and can clog the pores on our face.

Facemasks: We all love a good facemask! Facemasks help detoxify, even-out the skin tone, and minimize the appearance of pores.

Note: Make sure to read the instructions! Overusing facemasks or leaving them on longer than the recommended time can cause dryness, increase the appearance of lines, strip the skin of necessary oils and cause irritation (and if you have acne, irritation can cause redness of the face).

Now get to workin’ on radiant skin!

Janet is a fourth year Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. She is originally a big city girl from the Bay Area who enjoys discovering new places and eateries. In her free time you can find her dancing, eating, and drinking coffee or wine, depending on the time of day. After UCSB she plans to pursue a career in public relations or marketing. Find out what she’s up to on Instagram @Janet_Q_
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.