This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The holidays are over and the rain season is upon us!  It hit us here at UCSB with a vengeance last week, and as we pulled on our rain boots and coats, we started craving comfort food.  I’ve compiled a few yummy recipes to try as the weather gets wetter!  

1. Easy Chicken Pot Pie (BettyCrocker.com)

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamers frozen mixed vegetables

1 cup cut up cooked chicken

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup

1 cup Original Bisquick mix

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

Directions

1. Heat oven to 400 F.  Mix vegetables, chicken and soup in ungreased glass pie plate, 9×1 1/4 inches. 

2. Stir together remaining ingredients with fork until blended.  Pour into pie plate.  

3.  Bake 30 minutes until golden brown.  

2. Parmigiano Reggiano and Butternut Squash Soup (FoodNetwork.co.uk)

Ingredients

150g Parmigiano Reggiano, with rind

25g butter

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 medium butternut squast, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks

900ml hot vegetable stock

150ml milk

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season

4-6 slices French bread

Fresh parsley or thyme, chopped to garnish

Directions

1. Reserve the rind from the Parmigiano Reggiano and cut it into chunks, then finely grate the cheese. 

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onion for about three minutes, until softened, but not browned.  Add the butternut squash, vegetable stock and Parmigiano Reggiano rind.  Heat until the mixture is just simmering, then turn the heat to low and cook gently for about 20 minutes, partially covered, until the vegetables are soft and tender.

3.  Remove the rind from the saucepan, then transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and add most of the grated cheese, reserving about 25g for garnishing.  Blend the soup for 15-20 seconds, until completely smooth.  Return it to the saucepan and add the milk.  Stir thoroughly and reheat until piping hot.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  

4.  Meanwhile, toast the slices of French bread, sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top and grill until melted.  Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, then top each portion with one piece of French toast.  Sprinkle the fresh parsley or thyme and a little extra ground black pepper, then serve.  

3. Creamy Macoroni and Cheese (Cooking.nytimes.com)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat)

2 cups milk (not skim)

Pinch cayenne

Pinch freshly graded nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven.  Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan. 

2. In a blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.  Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping.  In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta.  Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.  

3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned.  Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.  

4. Simple Hot Cocoa For One (Epicurious.com)

Ingredients 

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)

1 cup milk or any combination of milk, half-and-half, or cream

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved. Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it is hot. Stir in the vanilla and serve.
  2. If you like it frothy, blend it in the blender.
  3. This recipe multiplies easily. When you get up to a quart of milk, use 1/4 teaspoon salt.
  4.  
  5. Cuddle up and enjoy!
Siobhán is a fourth year English major at UCSB. She is originally from the Bay Area and still misses hearing "hella" on the daily. She loves the ocean, photography/ film, music, and good eats (especially burritos). In her free time, she likes to obsessively watch Netflix, watch the sunset, and experiment with new recipes in the kitchen! You can see what she is up to on her instagram @swetzelll.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.