Pros and Cons of the Quarter System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Attending a university that’s on the quarter system isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Classes move through material much faster in comparison to the semester system and it can defintely be overwhelming at times. However, like all great challenges there’s a silver lining to the quarter system. 

Pro: It’s only 10 weeks long.

You won’t have to tolerate that annoying guy in lecture for very long. 

Con: It’s only 10 weeks long.

Cramming a semester’s worth of info into ten weeks? Yay.

Pro: Long vacations.

Summer vacay begins in June and ends in September!!

Con: I mean reaaally long vacations.

Boredom kills. 

Pro: You take a variety of classes by the time you graduate.

Look at you– you educated, cultured individual. 

Con: Intense work load.

The assignments pile up FAST.

Pro: More classes, more friends.

The quarter system allows you to get through more classes. Therefore, more friends. 

Con: Social life vs Sleep vs Work.

*Adds 1,462 things to “To-do” list. 

Basically, if you can get through college on the quarter system, you can do anything– just another plus side to the fast paced academic life.

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.