The Problem With Separating the Art From the Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I’m sure by now all of you have scrolled through a multitude of Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat posts that aim to memorialize the rapper, XXXTentacion, who passed away this June. When XXXTentacion left this world, he was facing charges of false imprisonment, witness tampering, and aggravated assault of a pregnant woman. Assuming these allegations are true, it seems strange that he is able to maintain his popularity. Surely his nearly 36 million monthly listeners on Spotify are not OK with supporting an abuser, right?

This is where the idea of “separating the art from the artist” comes in. People claim that they’re not supporting the artist as a person, but rather supporting the artistry itself. They say they don’t agree with the artist’s actions, but that they simply like the music they make. By separating the artist from the art, people are able to listen to artists like XXXTentacion without feeling morally at fault.

Image via The Source

While I 100% believe it is possible to separate an artist from the art they make, it gets tricky when it comes to the question if whether or not one should do this. A good artist pours their heart and soul into their craft. The music they put out is a reflection of who they are. So, why would one want to separate them from that? Regardless of whether or not one fully agrees with an artist’s viewpoints, beliefs, or actions, by choosing to listen to an artist, one is still inadvertently supporting the artist.

Now, I’m not saying everyone who listens to controversial artists like XXXTentacion and 6ix9ine is okay with domestic abuse and pedophilia, yet, in a way, they are cosigning the behavior. By listening to these artists, they’re lining their pockets, which boosts their platform and allows them to continue influencing the world around them, not only with their music, but with their actions. So, the next time you want to listen to “FEFE” or “Tunnel Vision”, just be sure to be mindful of the man behind the music.

Enaiya is a first year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara. She loves heated discussions on current issues, dancing, and binge-watching cheesy teen dramas. When she isn't in class, you can find her scrolling through Twitter or out actively searching for the best iced coffee in town. Keep up with her on Twitter and Instagram @enaiyawhoa
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.