An Open Letter to My BFF in a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I’m so happy that you’ve found someone! Tell me about him: is he nice, tall, funny, sweet? I can’t wait until I can meet him and when I find someone we can all totally go on double dates!

…Only I still haven’t found someone and you’re out there having fun in your relationship and I’m starting to feel left out.

I get that he’s your escape from the world.

I don’t get that you have to be with him every hour of every day.

In the time that I do get to spend with you, I love being with you. We have so much fun together; we do dumb stuff and say random things that no one else would understand, we share our deepest secrets, bond with each other’ families, and think about the future together. I miss being able to hang out with you all the time, and I couldn’t imagine being best friends with anyone else. But when you cut our time short to go be with your new boyfriend I feel hurt, like I’m a second choice. I love that you love spending time with him, but I wish you could spend some time with me too.

The same goes for the rest of our friends. It kind of sucks that they get dropped from your life to make room for your new boyfriend…or so it feels like.

I feel bad to be the one to say it, because–let’s be honest–no one wants to be the one to break this news to their friend. But I care about you, and if someone doesn’t, who knows how this will end up?

We understand that this is new and amazing and you just can’t get enough of it, and when new things come along it might be a little inevitable for you to forget about things (in this case, friendships) that you already had from the past. We know, everyone’s been there. And usually when it happens, the people in the relationship don’t really realize it until it’s over and they’re already regretting things…but I don’t want you to regret things. I want you to he happy, we all want you to be happy.

At the end of the day, know that we will always be your friends. We all want what’s best for you and we all will be there for you whenever you need us, because we love you.

Please don’t forget us!

XOXO, BFF

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay  
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.