This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Victoria Melgarejo

Major: Linguistics

Minor: Education

Year: 4th 

Hometown: North Shore, Ca.

Favorite Netflix show to binge watch: Friends 

What has being a Gates Millenium Scholar meant to you? 

It’s created really close friendship bonds with students I probably wouldn’t have met otherwise, and has led to a family on-campus that has a similar background to my own.

What is the McNair Scholars program?

It’s an undergraduate research program that provides students with an opprotunity to learn about and prepare themselves for graduate school. It helps teach students how to prepare and conduct their own research projects.

What motivated you to become a McNair scholar?

Interest in going to graduate school, participating in my own research and having a support group that would help me navigate my way through the grad school application process.

What’s your favorite on-campus spot?

I love sitting by the Ucen lawn, it has a beautiful view of the lagoon and ocean!

What would you say are your top 3 skills? 

I can binge-watch Netflix for hours on end.

I make a pretty great cheesecake.

I love salsa dancing!

Which Friends character would be your best friend?

Pheobe all the way! 

Any final words of wisdom? 

If you ever see the gorilla on campus, follow him until he notices you and take a picture with him. 

***After the final question, we spent at least an hour trying to find the picture of Vicky with the gorilla, but we could not. :( Vicky’s new mission is to find the gorilla again and get a new picture with him. 

Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. Passions include: Taylor Swift, fashion, FRIENDS, chocolate, Snapchat and sassy t-shirts.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay