courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making Friends as an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As an introvert, you probably really enjoy your own solitude and are extremely comfortable being alone, but sometimes you might have those moments where you actually want to hang out with other people and have no idea how to make new friends. First order of business, you have to find them…

Even though you might be more comfortable waiting on people to come up to you, try something different this time; put yourself out there. Step out of your comfort zone and do things you won’t normally do to get out of your safe bubble. For some this could be joining a club or student organization. For others, this could mean going to campus socials and events, especially ones that interest you. This way, you’ll find people who you know for sure you already have things in common with, making it easier to initiate conversation. You might just hit it off with someone.

When you finally build up enough courage to talk to someone, don’t be afraid of the small talk, even if it starts to get awkward.

Image via Giphy.com

People always feel the need to say random and unimportant things in order to fill up the silence in between a conversation. Racking your brain trying to come up with things to say that’ll make you seem more impressive will only make you more anxious; embrace the silence, nothing’s worse than forcing a conversation.

Another easy thing you could do, which could be more or less effective depending on the situation, is to simply compliment someone.

Image via Giphy.com

Everyone loves a compliment and I guarantee that your compliment will go through their mind for the rest of that day because you made them feel good about themselves. Whether the compliment is about their clothes, shoes, hair, or jewelry, this could spark a conversation and you may find you both are into the same stuff. You might even end up exchange numbers or ending the conversation by deciding to make plans to go shopping together. They might even inform you of a party happening that weekend and invite you to go along with them. I can’t even count the number of times this has happened to me; there’s nothing like bonding over music and food.

Usually, getting that second hangout that helps build the relationship even more is the trickiest part.You know your both into similar things and you’ve exchanged numbers, but now how do you go about asking to hangout again? Thoughts about when to ask, what to do during the hangout, and wondering if they’ll refuse your offer may haunt your mind, but don’t let being shy or the fear of rejection psych you out. Sometimes you have to make the first move. If you really want to hang out just ask them, chances are they were just as shy about asking as you were anyway.

For arguments sake, let’s say that the relationship doesn’t grow too far from your initial meeting. That’s okay! Try again. The more you get out there and talk to people, the easier it’ll become. Before you know it, you’ll be an expert at talking to people and the anxiety that comes with initiating conversation with someone you don’t know will just melt away, making it so much easier to make new friends. Just be you and don’t give up!

Image via Giphy.com

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)