Life Lessons I Learned from Listening to Ariana Grande

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We all know her name. From childhood actor to Billboard’s “Woman of the Year,” Ariana Grande has definitely made herself known in not only the music industry but has made a presence in the lives of her listeners. She uses her voice and her past experiences to spread awareness about the importance of mental health, loving yourself and putting yourself first. She openly talks about her mental health, her PTSD, and her rollercoaster of a social life, and I think that’s a reason why her fans love her so much. So here just some of the life lessons that I learned from listening to Queen Ari herself.

Image via Giphy

1. “She taught me love, she taught me patience and she handles pain. That sh*t’s amazing.” — “thank u next”

Can we agree that “thank u next” was the break up song of the year? Ariana has been through hell and back, and instead of singing about her grief, she used her voice to promote the good aspects of an ending relationship. She sings about learning to love herself, putting herself first and properly moving on, and she’s telling her listeners that a breakup isn’t the end of the world. She’s telling us to be grateful that this particular person entered our lives because even if they weren’t meant to stay, that person definitely taught you a thing or two that you can take onto your next relationship.

Image via Giphy

2. “Babe, you gotta take care of your body, ain’t to time to deny it, that is why we’re talking about it.” — “get well soon”

Self-care, self-care, self-care!

It’s such an important topic, but many of us forget about it in the midst of our busy schedules. But self-care is so important for our mental health, emotional health and physical health. The only thing we can take control of in this world is our own bodies. And if Ariana’s telling us to do it, then we gotta do it!

Image via Giphy

3. “I can be all the things you told me not to be, when you try to come for me I keep on flourishing.” — “God is a woman”

When Ariana said that God is a woman, she means it. This song taught me that no one can hold me down, and that I’m going to keep improving and be a better version of myself as each day passes. No matter if anyone says anything to put us down, we can rise from it. Nothing’s impossible and nothing’s out of our reach.

Image via Giphy

4. “Oh, you gotta keep, keep on breathin.” — “breathin”

Ariana definitely reveals her vulnerable side to her listener’s with “breathin.” Even though she looks so strong on the outside, she has been through so much in the past year. She’s open about the struggles she has been through, even sharing that “people tell her to medicate.” This song is relatable to anyone that’s having a hard time and reminds us that as long as we keep breathing, we can get through anything.

Image via Giphy

5. “Baby, you got lucky ‘cause you’re rocking with the best, and I’m greedy!” — “greedy”

Her self-confidence is screaming at us through the lyrics. She’s teaching us that we are the best, whether anyone agrees with us or not. When this song starts playing while I’m heading to class, I hold my head a little higher and stand a little taller.

Image via Giphy

Chloe is a second year Communication major who's loving her time at UCSB. When she's not studying, you can find her binge watching shows, eating hot pot or hanging out with friends in IV with a Blenders cup in her hands. Keep up with her on her Instagram page: @chloechoww
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.