Let’s Talk About Macklemore’s “White Privilege II”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

That uncomfortable, fidgety feeling this song evokes was exactly Macklemore’s aim in his song released last month, White Privilege II.  As a follow-up to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ 2005 song White Privilege, this is not your classic empty, feel good jam to sing along to in the shower. Macklemore is addressing movements such as Black Lives Matter and attempting to find his place as a white male rapper in a post-Ferguson America. It feels awkward and you can practically feel his guilt through the bass line. I’m not quite sure what purpose this song serves other than as catharsis Macklemore’s for hang ups but at least he has begun a hugely necessary discussion.

Essentially Macklemore is using this song to verbally process the issues he feels as a man with all the privileges of pale skin but operating in the African American sphere of hip hop, a music genre born out of racial struggles and typically addressing the institutional racism of the United States. Met with scorn, these lyrics make it seem like he is stumbling in the dark for some answers and a relief to guilt but left me with more questions than insights. Jamila Woods is the fairly unknown black artist who collaborated with Macklemore on the song – is it right that she is lending authentic ‘blackness’ to a song that will ultimately be credited to Macklemore, a white man?

“My success is the product of the same system that let off Darren Wilson – guilty”

“Okay, I’m saying that they’re chanting out, “Black lives matter“, but I don’t say it back

Is it okay for me to say? I don’t know, so I watch and stand

In front of a line of police that look the same as me”

“Are you marching for freedom, or when it’s convenient?

“America feels safe with my music in their systems

And it’s suited me perfect, the role, I’ve fulfilled it

And if I’m the hero, you know who gets cast as the villain”

Point is, the issues are far from black and white but it is so key to think and mull over. Why is it that in a school of 40% Caucasian students and only 2% African Americans, it is the music of Fetty Wap and Kendrick Lamar heard most often in the streets of IV? Is this appropriating the convenient and ‘cool’ aspects of black culture whilst pushing their struggles under the carpet?

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.