This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As anyone who has ever visited the college town of Isla Vista knows, there is an overabundance of restaurants, pizza joints, and delis here. Within the one square mile that is Isla Vista, there are four pizza restaurants, five sandwich joints, five Mexican cuisine restaurants, four Asian-fusion stops, three burger joints, two Mediterranean places, one Indian cuisine restaurant, two mini marts, two bars, and whole bunch more. What this all sums up to is a lot of different menus to peruse, countless diets to cheat on, and many, many late night meals to purchase. Even as a fourth year, I still have not tried every single restaurant in IV. (Hey, what can I say? I am a creature of habit)

As a token of my love to all the Her Campus readers (and my stomach), I have decided to dedicate my final months here in Isla Vista by eating my way through the town I have called home for four years. I began my quest with a very unfamiliar place: Kegg’s. So, without further ado, here is what my stomach and I thought of Kegg’s.

Before walking into the restaurant, I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I had biked past Kegg’s hundreds of times as I travelled between my house and campus, but I had never willed myself to go in. I was surprised upon walking in and pursuing the menu that their industrial-chic aesthetic, filled with dark woods, mustard yellow accent, and chromatic metals, catered to a brunch crowd.

I didn’t want to embark on this journey alone, so I enlisted the help of two other Her Campus interns, Amber and Siobhán, which basically was just an excuse for me to not eat alone and for us to gossip and chitchat outside of class and Her Campus’ meetings. Amber ordered the CLT, a beautiful poultry-filled take on the classic BLT sandwich, and Siobhán ordered the Veg Sandwich, which even as a person who doesn’t care that much for veggies, I thought it looked amazing. But, as I have said before, I am a creature of habit, so I stuck to what I know best: the Spanish burrito, complete with chorizo, potatoes, eggs, and avocado.

(Order of food: Amber’s CLT on the far left, Siobhán’s Veg Sandwich on top, and my Spanish burrito on the far right.)

The Spanish burrito was amazingly tasty. Even with the healthier substitutions like the whole wheat tortilla, my mouth exploded with taste. The burrito’s even distribution and mix of specialty ingredients – like organic eggs and fresh cheese – had me grinning from ear-to-ear after every bite, which is something I can’t say about other burrito experiences.

This is because time and time again, I have been subject to the hardship that is a horribly wrapped burrito, crying as I make my way through each clearly defined layer of egg, cheese, and chorizo. I mean who wants that kind of toxicity in their lives? Anyways, enough about other competition’s burritos, lets get back to Kegg’s!

Not only was I happy with the taste of my food, but I was also aesthetically pleased by Kegg’s presentation. Each meal was given a small fruit cup, filled with whole grapes and finely chopped pieces of honeydew and cantaloupe. I couldn’t help but notice the attention to detail given at Kegg’s. Usually when I order a burrito anywhere else in IV, I am given a foil-wrapped blob, regardless of if I am eating in or taking it to go. However, at Kegs, this is entirely different. The Spanish burrito was given tiny grill marks, taking what might be a post-party meal to something delightful and upscale.

All in all, I would seriously recommend Kegg’s to any of my friends, and I would give my meal 4 out of 5 food babies! 

So, stop by Kegg’s next time you are heading home from campus. I can assure you it is totally and definitely worth it. 

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.