This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I have always been fascinated with the idea of studying abroad. For me, it seemed like a no-brainer, an automatic yes. The chance to live and take classes in another country? As somebody who loves to travel, I immediately jumped at the opportunity. I remember feeling fortunate that UCSB has such a strong study abroad program and like a kid in a candy store, I spent countless hours browsing all of the options, positively overwhelmed with the possibilities. 

I ended up selecting a program that struck me as super unique — a human rights themed program that took me first to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and second, to Santiago, Chile. My stomach squirmed a bit at the realization that I knew absolutely nobody else who would be doing this program, but I pushed that anxiety aside and willed myself to be excited.

As the school year drew to a close and my departure date suddenly lurked on the other side of summer break, I chatted with peers who would also be studying abroad that upcoming fall. Mostly everybody that I talked to was heading to Europe, and when I told them that I was going to Argentina and Chile, their faces visibly registered shock and slight confusion. I left UCSB in June somewhat uneasy and began to question my decision to pick a program that could potentially leave me very isolated.

Now it’s January and I’ve just recently returned from my adventures abroad. In retrospect, I am grateful for my decision to opt for a “nontraditional” study abroad experience. In this article, I want to talk about the pros of studying abroad in a non-European country. I think because study abroad in Europe is much more popular, students tend to immediately dismiss non-European programs from consideration, which is a shame!

My goal is to provide guidance and maybe inspiration for students who are still navigating the study abroad application process. At the very least, I hope to shine the spotlight on a type of travel that is not as common and discuss why traveling beyond the boundaries of Europe is so valuable.

less tourism, more immersion

Traveling in South America, I found there to be significantly less tourism than when I’ve visited Europe. Of course, that is not to say that South America is entirely devoid of tourism. But, compared to places that I’ve been to in Europe that were completely swarmed by crowds of tourists flocking from attraction to attraction, the impact of tourism in South America is significantly less.

For me, this was a huge perk! The cities and other areas that I visited were much less “touristified.” In my opinion, it was easier to move around (not having to constantly dodge clusters of tourism) and to avoid expensive tourist traps. And I wasn’t restricted to tourist-friendly zones that filtered out locals, leaving something that feels fabricated. Instead, I felt that my experiences were authentic and more or less representative of the experiences of the locals that lived there.

easier to practice the local language

Going along with this theme of immersion, it was significantly easier for me to practice the local language than it has been when I’ve visited Europe. In Europe, I have noticed that conversations default quickly, if not immediately to English because so many Europeans are proficient in English. This was not the case for me in South America and speaking Spanish on the daily was a must in order to get by.

This was one of my favorite parts of my study abroad experience, as I study Spanish and real-life opportunities to speak the language have helped me improve drastically. It can definitely be daunting to be launched in an environment that forces you to try a different language, but I think that the benefits outweigh that momentary discomfort. Trying a hand at the local language enables even more cultural awareness and integration, and simply put, is indicative of the reality that English isn’t readily spoken everywhere in the world.

Unfamiliar culture, history, and politics

Spending time in South America, I was exposed to a completely new way of doing things, one that isn’t as tied to Western culture. This was especially true when I ventured outside of larger cities and witnessed cuisines, dress, customs, traditions, religions, and even languages that were unfamiliar to me. I have never experienced such a juxtaposition in Europe, where lifestyles largely overlap with what I have always known in the U.S.

I especially enjoyed learning about the history and politics of Argentina and Chile. I arrived with very limited knowledge of the stories of these countries, as the history and politics of South America is often overlooked (or distorted) in American classrooms. I loved hearing the perspectives of my professors and the local people around me — it was so refreshing! The conversations that I had during my classes abroad were some of the most educational of my life and it is safe to say that these discussions provided me with a completely reformulated perspective of the world around me. 

smaller programs

Because non-European programs are less popular, the size of my program was relatively small. Having gone in without knowing a single person, this was perfect for me as it allowed me to quickly connect with the other students in my program. Unlike massive programs, where it is impossible to properly get to know each and every person, I feel like I was able to share special moments and cultivate meaningful relationships with everybody in my program. I am beyond grateful for the amazing new friends that I met while studying abroad!

different travel destinations

Although Europe has its fair share of cool travel spots, studying abroad in South America meant that I had the ability to go places that I never would have thought possible. Again this is true of all study abroad experiences, but the spectrum of travel destinations available to me in South America truly blew my mind. I had the chance to traverse through the Andes Mountains, explore the heart of the Amazon rainforest, and wander around neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro. I have friends who traveled to Machu Picchu, Patagonia, Easter Island, and many more amazing places. The options are unbelievable and endless!

I want to conclude with the disclaimer that it’s a massive privilege to travel anywhere and to participate in study abroad in general. I’m also not trying to bash other study abroad experiences; rather I want to highlight some of the rarely-discussed pros of studying abroad in another part of the world. My advice to readers is to not give your fears the power to limit your decisions, whether that be not studying abroad (despite wanting to) or opting for a program just because it seems “safe” and everybody else is doing it. Studying abroad is a time to push yourself completely out of your comfort zone. Embrace it and have fun!

Hi! My name is Caitlin and I am a fourth year sociology and spanish major at UCSB. I enjoy listening to music, making coffee, traveling, and writing :)