If Kanye Went to UCSB…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Kanye West may possibly be the world’s most successful college dropout, however, he is still a huge supporter of higher education: “should of finished school like my niece.” Kanye achieved good grades in high school and went on to attend college at Chicago State University and Chicago’s American Academy of Art until dropping out to pursue music.

But what if…Yo, Kanye I’ma let you finish… he went to UCSB?

Would Kanye take his classes seriously?

Yes… well… the ones he wanted to attend.  He would thrive in Art 7A: Art and Life and Mus 15: Music Appreciation. In his album “The College Dropout,” Kanye raps, “You know how many classes I took? Extra Classes.” He would definitely take his classes seriously and put his passion into his studies. But Kanye definitely would not be up for taking his general education requirements (especially Area B and C), because Kanye only wants to study what Kanye wants to study.

What Would Kanye be involved in?

Kanye would be a CLAS tutor and students all over campus would say, “Yeezy Taught Me.”

You could also find him running independently for AS President, putting out a very public statement for candidacy with a focus to advocate for cheaper textbooks, but then doing very little actual campaigning.  

Would Kanye be involved in Greek life?

Highly doubtful. Kanye does not match the Santa Barbara Frat Boy look and probably would have had trouble paying frat dues. Plus Kanye seems to show little regard for fraternities and sororities, quickly mentioning them in his album “The College Dropout,” “alpha, step. Omega, step. Kappa, step. Sigma, step”(School Spirit). But, he would be accepted in the frats and as he has mentioned would get some of the perks even though he “ain’t even pledge”(School Spirit). The only letters Kanye would be wearing are “GDI.”

Where would Kanye be on a weekend? 

Kanye could be found performing at a house party one weekend and then driving to LA the next weekend to show his music to a producer. 

Is Kanye the college “relationship type?”

Kanye loves Kanye. Maybe he will have time for somebody else in his life, but more likely he will be focused on his studies and music. But, Kanye does like to preach his strong beliefs to others. In the song “All Falls Down” Kanye raps about a girl, “She has no idea what she’s doing in college. That major that she majored in don’t make no money. But she won’t drop out, her parents will look at her funny. Now, tell me that ain’t insecure. The concept of school seems so secure. Sophomore three years aint picked a career.” Maybe Kanye would convince a love interest to drop out if that’s what she wants, but maybe he would also convince her to stay in school and take advantage of her current academics. Either way, Kanye would be sure to pay attention to girls but would most likely be paying more attention to himself. 

How would Kanye get around campus?

Kanye would be that guy with either a pimped out electric bike or a massive motor bike trying to pass people along the bike paths. Instead of shouting “On your left!” Kanye would probably just yell “YEEZUS!!!”

Would Kanye surf?

Do you mean crowd surfing

Kanye’s plans after graduation?

“So now you get your degree tattooed on your back” – Kayne West, School Spirit Skit One. 

Sarah is a first-year student studying Communication and Art at UCSB. She is a breakfast food enthusiast and lover of animated movies and the outdoors. If you can’t find her at the beach, find her on Instagram @sorendipity
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.