How to Treat Yourself on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Well, it’s that time of the year again: it’s early February, you walk into a CVS or grocery store, and you see colorful displays covered with bouquets of roses, heart shaped boxes of chocolates, and adorable teddy bears. Oh yes, Valentine’s Day is approaching. While some people may be completely unaffected by witnessing such flamboyant displays, others (me included), dread it. Why do some of us dread it? Well, every year when Valentine’s Day rolls around, it can be a vicious reminder to all of the single people that we are, well, single! Of course there is nothing wrong with being single, but for some of us, this particular day can heighten the awareness that we haven’t been struck by Cupid’s arrow.

Now, I have been single for 5 years, and every year on this day, there are things that I do to make myself feel loved without the validation of a bae. What I am trying to say is that I am my own Valentine! I always make sure to treat myself on February 14th, and you should too. This year, become your own Valentine with my guide on how to treat yourself on Valentine’s Day. 

AVOID SOCIAL MEDIA 

The first step to treating yourself on Valentine’s Day is to stay off of your social media. Yes, staying off of Instagram, Snapchat, and even TikTok will do you wonders. This year, Valentine’s Day is about you, so there is no need to see what couples are doing for each other online. I recommend this as the first step, because as much as we try to remind ourselves that social media isn’t an accurate representation of someone’s life, we can’t help but compare ourselves to others. Perhaps this step sounds dramatic, but if this is a particularly sensitive day for you, then it is unnecessary to scroll through your feeds and witness the results of heart shaped consumerism. 

TAKE YOURSELF OUT ON A DATE 

Having been single for a few years now, I have essentially mastered the art of treating myself on Valentine’s Day. The trick is to plan a date for yourself, do something special just for you. This can be as simple as going for a walk along the beach while listening to music, having a retail therapy moment, or ordering takeout from your favorite restaurant while watching a show at home in your comfies. Heck, you can even go get yourself some flowers and chocolates! There is no shame in this, I have done it many times and it always makes me feel good. Just do whatever it is that will make you happy. 

HAVE A GALENTINES 

If you would rather not spend Valentine’s Day by yourself, then plan something with your friends! I recommend going to Trader Joe’s with the girlies and gathering ingredients to make a colorful charcuterie board. Who doesn’t love a picture perfect assortment of deliciousness? If you and your friends want something sweet to counteract the savory charcuterie, I suggest making chocolate covered strawberries. Making chocolate covered strawberries is simple, fun, and always a big hit. With the yummy treats you and your friends just made, you can either have a picnic or host something fun at your house. As long as you have yummy food and good company, it should be a wonderful time. 

Regardless of your relationship status, there always seems to be a sense of added pressure around the time of Valentine’s Day, but it doesn’t have to be this way. Ease the pressure by prioritizing yourself and doing what it is that will make you feel loved. There is no need to rely on anyone else to validate your worth. So, enjoy your Valentine’s Day, and just simply treat yourself in whatever shape or form that may be. 

Hello there, my name is Jolene Cuevas and I’m from Santa Cruz, California! I’m a senior at the University of California Santa Barbara majoring in Communication. I’m a first generation college student who has an interest in writing, media, and marketing. I am passionate about women’s rights, women’s education, and women’s health. In the future, I hope to find a career that allows me to work in the areas that I am passionate about in a creative and collaborative way. In my free time, I enjoy learning about astrology, spending time with friends, doing karaoke, and exercising!