Anna Schultz-Girls Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To ‘Sleigh’ Being Single This Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Love Actually, “All I Want for Christmas is You,” mistletoe, New Year’s kisses. Why is everything always about being in love over the holidays? As soon as Halloween is over it seems that if you’re not “cuffed,” you’re the odd one out, but this is SO far from the case.

In fact, being single over the holiday period is actually pretty freaking awesome. Instead of basing your holidays all around that one special person, here are all the fun things you can do with the friends and family in your life (who mean just as much, or maybe even more!)

1. Gingerbread Making Competition 

A great way to add some spice (excuse the pun) into this holiday period is always with a little competition. Have all of your close friends and family buy (or make!) gingerbread houses this season and have them be blind-voted. The winner can get a prize, bragging rights, or even get to pick whichever soppy movie you get to watch that night. Below are some options for houses to unleash your artistic abilities: 

Target Gingerbread Kit with Roof Helper

Target Pre Built Gingerbread House

Michaels Gingerbread House Kit

Bakery Bling Gingerbread House Kit

2. Christmas Party 

The great thing about the Christmas period is the overall excuse to party. Whether it is an ugly sweater party, dance party, or dinner party, having a boogie, a nibble, and a laugh with the people important to you always goes a long way. Linked below are some playlists for your shindig to warm up your chilly feet: 

Work Christmas Party

Christmas Party

Christmas Hits

Christmas Dance Party

3. Holiday Movie Marathon

As the weather gets colder and the nights draw in, movie marathons are ALWAYS a win. Cozy up with some pals and watch those movies you never have the time to! Although there are a lot of sappy romantic movies out there over the holidays, here are some less mushy movies for you to binge:

• Die Hard
  • Bad Santa
  • Office Christmas Party
  • Elf
  • The Grinch
  • Home Alone

4. Go to a Christmas Tree Farm

It doesn’t get a lot more festive than this! Take a winding walk through some big green firs and experience that familiar nostalgic pine smell. Even if you are not there to purchase a tree, there are many things to see. There may be cider and hot chocolate and seasonal snacks. Some farms even have Santa there to liven things up. It’s a great way to spend time, feel really festive, and even support local businesses and farms!! Here are some around the SB area for ideas: 

Lane Farms

Big Wave Daves

Anthony’s Christmas Trees

5. Cook Up a Fabulous Christmas Dinner

As a foodie myself, Christmas is when cooking comes to life: There are so many recipes and ideas for both baking and cooking, and it is a great way to spend time with your friends this season. You could do a Christmas ‘board’ night where people bring sweet boards, savoury boards, cheese boards, and so on. OR you could get each person to cook up a portion of the meal — whether that be hors d’oeuvres, appetizers, starters, entrees, desserts, whatever! It’s the perfect time to unleash your inner Gordan Ramsey. Below are some easy dishes from Taste to get your cooking juices flowing:

Smoked Salmon Wreath

Broccoli and Bacon Salad

Chicken, Cranberry and Brie Canapés

French Onion Stuffing Balls

Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes

Cider-Glazed Ham

The most important thing to do this season is to appreciate all the love that is around you. Just because you may not have one special someone, does not mean you are not surrounded by love. You just have to let yourself see it. 

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!