Style > Fashion

How To Perfectly “Sandwich” Your Outfits To Elevate Your Daily Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Have you ever heard of “sandwiching” an outfit? Personally, I was not aware of this fashion trend until the other day at work, when a coworker of mine shared some of her style tips. Her outfit had caught my eye immediately. She matched a pair of red shoes with a cute red top. When I complimented her, she told me she had been trying to “sandwich” her outfits more.

I was automatically intrigued by this “sandwiching” concept once I had heard of it. I have been making an effort in trying to elevate my daily style recently. Soon enough I’ll be interviewing for big girl jobs and starting my career; I’ll have to ditch my usual outfits, which consist of Ugg mini platform boots and White Fox matching sweatsuits. 

I want to step it up and be more mindful when I get dressed for the day! So, I decided to do a little research on the dos and don’ts of “sandwiching” an outfit. It turns out, it’s fairly easy to craft together an outfit using this “sandwich” method! I’ve learned that the concept is quite simple. 

I immediately opened TikTok, which is my go-to for style content and inspiration. I watched a short video created by Han, a fashion social media influencer (@styledbyhan on TikTok). She explained the styling process while demonstrating her own clothing choices. 

From her video, I learned that in order to “sandwich” your outfit, you’ll first need to pick a color. This will be your “bread.” In between the color of your choice is the “meat” of the sandwich. An example of an outfit that uses the “sandwich” method would be a pair of brown leather boots, a denim mini skirt, and a brown turtleneck sweater. Therefore, the skirt is the meat, and the sweater and the boots are the “slices of bread.” Together they create a fashionable sandwich!

Another example of a “sandwiched” outfit would be white platform heels with an orange strapless dress and a white scarf! As long as there is another clothing item/accessory between two matching colors, it follows the “sandwich rule.” 

Strictly using color isn’t the only way you can style an outfit using the “sandwich” method, either; you can use a pattern or fun print. Leopard is a print I’m currently obsessed with. In fact, I’m even brainstorming an idea in my head as I write this; I’m imagining my new (thrifted) leopard kitten heels, off-white low-rise slacks, and a mock-neck leopard top (which I have yet to own). I will definitely be utilizing the animal print trend when I start planning some outfits using the “sandwich” method. 

There are so many other patterns to choose from, too: polka dots, stripes, or floral designs. You can also play around with materials if you’re feeling adventurous! For instance, a potential outfit idea could be fur boots styled with a fur coat. As long as the overall principle of the “sandwich” concept is followed, the possibilities are almost endless.

Ever since I became aware of the “sandwich” method and dedicated time to research (aka going on TikTok), I have tried utilizing this concept. The other night, when getting ready to go out with my roommates, I was specific with my outfit choices and had the “sandwich” method in mind. I finalized my outfit after staring at my closet for forty minutes. I ended up wearing black heeled boots with my favorite pair of low-rise jeans (which were only ten bucks at the thrift store, might I add), and a black Urban Outfitters corset top. I felt so confident and loved the way my look turned out for the night!

But the “sandwich” method doesn’t have to be reserved only for nights out, either; whether you’re biking to an 8:00 a.m. lecture, interviewing for graduate school, or going downtown on a Friday night, “sandwiching” your outfit will totally be a confidence boost!

Hi, I'm Erin! I am a fourth year film and media studies student here at UCSB. I'm originally from northern California but moved to Wyoming last summer. When I'm not busy with schoolwork or my part-time retail job, I enjoy thrifting, film photography, and journaling. I'm stoked to be an editorial intern for Her Campus and can't wait for what's to come this year.