alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Rock Summer Clothes in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

After a long, hot summer here in sunny California: Fall has finally arrived! But we cannot bear to store away all of our super cute summer clothes… We wish we could wear them all year round; and sometimes we can! Here’s how to work some of your totes adorable summer pieces into your fall outfits!

1. Layers, layers, layers!

The most important part of outfit-picking in the cold seasons, especially here in Santa Barbara, is layering. Lots of times it will be cold and cloudy on the way to your morning classes and you’ll walk out to find the clouds have gone away, the heat has arrived, and the UV index went from 0 to 100 real quick. So to adapt to this strange transitional phenomenon, we suggest layering a cute cardigan or parka over a cute summer tank top or dress, and maybe even adding a scarf if it’s extra chilly in the morning. You could even layer a pair of thin tights under your skirt or shorts if your legs are feeling a little nippy. The point of layering is so that you can shed or add them as the day progresses, and you’ll always be ready for what mother nature has to throw at us.

2. Put it in neutral

With fall comes an array of fall colors; out with the aquas, magentas, and tangerines, and in with the beiges, mauves, and olives. But that doesn’t mean we have to bring a whole new wardrobe just for the season; just like in our science classes, we can neutralize the potent colors with some gentle colors. Pair bright reds with soft browns and beiges and crisp whites with burnt oranges and olives. Even match aqua blue with gold, white, and brown for a gorgeous combo. These color palettes will absolutely scream fall!

3. Dressing for season is a formula

[basics] + [seasonal staples] + [accessories] = the perfect outfit!

Every outfit starts with the basics: a t-shirt, a tank top, a pair of old jeans, a little black dress, etc. We bling it out with accessories and hope for the best. But what really makes a summer outfit a summer outfit, a spring outfit a spring outfit, a fall outfit a fall outfit, and a winter outfit a winter outfit is the seasonal staples that we add. When we think of summer, we think: FLIP FLOPS! SANDALS! SUNGLASSES! And when we think of winter, we think: MITTENS! UGGS! SCARVES! So when it comes to dressing for fall, replace a few summer staples with fall ones; of course, we don’t have to go full-fall mode when it’s still 80 degrees outside, but we can start with baby steps. We can trade our flip flops for booties and our bikini bottoms for leggings.

Fashion away, my lovelies!

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay  
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.