This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Who needs a man, am I right, ladies?

13 going on 30 gif
Giphy

Sometimes all you need is your best friends and some good music. That being said, Valentine’s day is coming up and even better, Galentine’s day is also approaching. Galentine’s day is all about celebrating your friendship with your girls. It’s a day to have fun and forget about problems, especially boy problems, so if you have a boyfriend make sure to leave him at home because it’s a girls-only type of night. Sadly, with the current ongoing pandemic (where your masks please!) it has become hard lately to see friends in general, but that doesn’t mean Galentine’s day is canceled. We can still dress up, have fun and hang out with our friends. I’ll show you just how to have a successful Galentines day during a pandemic.

Have a Zoom Party

The easiest and safest way to meet up with your friends is through zoom. I know it isn’t the same as being in the same room as your friends, being able to hug and dance together, but having a zoom party can still be fun. Many activities can be done over zoom, like sharing your screen and watching a movie together.

You can also have a slideshow night; if you have TikTok, you know what I’m talking about. Slideshow nights are fun, and you basically create a presentation on any topic you want, like rating the men my best friend has dated or best first dates.

You can also play games through zoom. Many websites offer multiplayer games to play with your friends even if you’re not in the same room. (Among Us, anybody?) After all, a little competition with your girls never hurt anybody!

Have an Outdoors Picnic

This would be done safely and 6 feet apart of course. Having a picnic outdoors is a great way to spend Galentine’s day. It is also COVID safe if done with a small group of friends you trust and maintain distance. Having a picnic also allows you to choose any location like a cute park or anywhere really. It could even be in your own backyard. Picnics also let you customize what you bring. It could be fancy and have a charcuterie board and wine with cake for dessert or you can just order pizza.

Make Drinks Together 

This activity can be done both over zoom and in person with your group of friends. Making drinks together and ranking which are the best is a perfect bonding activity (and who doesn’t enjoy a little responsible drinking). Also, if you don’t drink or are underage, making mocktails is a perfect alternative and still just as fun. Protip, there are many websites that let you write what ingredients you have already and give you a recipe for a drink you can make out of that.

Movie Night

Another activity that can easily be done over zoom is having a movie night. You can watch romantic movies like The Notebook, and I definitely recommend watching Someone Great on Netflix, another romance movie. Fair warning, you will cry, so have that ice cream and tissues ready. If romance movies aren’t the move for a girl’s night, watching comedies or rom/coms is also a great idea. You can all choose a movie to watch or vote together on something everyone will enjoy too.

Paint Night

It’s time to show off your art skills. Painting with friends can be so much fun, which is why having a paint night on Galentine’s day would be perfect. To make it even more fun, you and your friends can watch Bob Ross videos and try to follow along. Remember, there are no such thing as mistakes, just “happy accidents”.

Have a Valentines Day Themed Photo Shoot

This is the perfect time to get all dressed up and do your makeup extra. Having a valentine’s day themed photoshoot would be so fun as you’re surrounded by your girls who compliment you as you pose. This photoshoot with your friends will also be perfect for Galentine’s day as you feel your hottest. Celebrate the amazing beautiful friends you have all while making even more memories with them.

Leslie Knope explaining Galentine's day
Giphy

Although the pandemic may be making it a little hard to see our friends this year, making us miss them even more, there are still many ways we can be with them. So that being said, Galentine’s day will not be canceled this year ladies, we are still going to see our friends safely and have fun. I hope I was able to inspire some of you guys and hope everyone has a great Galentine’s day!

Alejandra is a fourth year global studies major with a minor in professional writing. She was born in LA and has moved around a lot eventually ending up studying in sunny Santa Barbara. Her hobbies include writing, drawing, and fashion. She also dreams of owning her own clothing line/business.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus