How To Be Single and Happy In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Recently I have seen so many posts and articles on how to survive being single in college. Despite what the common ideology is, being single throughout your college experience has several benefits. Therefore I have come to the conclusion hat being single should not be something you need to survive rather it should be something that you should celebrate. With that being said I would be lying if I suggested that I have not had my fair share of struggles with the concept of being single in my college years, I think every college-going girl can attest to how difficult it can be. Nevertheless here are my two cents as to why being single can provide you a very fulfilling, happy college experience.

Being single in a college setting is tough; for many of us college is the first time we are leaving the nest and our loved ones behind, thus jumping into a relationship seems comforting and reassuring in this transition period. Yet, I’ve found that from my own personal experience being single during this time has taught me to interact with all types of people. In doing so I truly broadened my horizon—all while gaining new and exciting experiences. Agreed, being in a relationship has its own rewards, yet one thing relationships require is the act of being selfless. Now being a third year at a university I realize that college is our one and only opportunity to be truly selfish in the hopes that we can discover ourselves.

The truth is being single and happy in college is quite easy. One just needs to remember that this is a time of self-discovery. Catering to anyone else’s needs but yours can ultimately be an obstacle in the path to self-discovery. And without discovering oneself how can we sincerely be happy being someone else’s.

The happily ever after, that I promise you men and women alike fantasize about, does not necessarily mean the moment you meet your Prince Charming. Your happily ever after comes with the life you end up living rather than the person you end up with. So here’s to living a life full of goals, passion, and lovely people. And most importantly here is to the single women out there! Keep doing you. 

Shefali Agarwal is a second year Communications Major at University of California Santa Barbara, hoping to pursue PR in the future. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shefali enjoys traveling, eating, reading and playing volleyball. Anything that gets her out there and active is a must do. See what she is up to on Instagram @shefalee!
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.