Highlights of the Obama Presidency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The 2016 Presidential election is coming up, meaning Obama’s time is almost over. While many YouTube commenters are adamant at having the 22nd amendment repealed for Obama to serve a third term (or for having Michelle run), it’s pretty clear that a lot of people are going to miss our current Mr. President. Let’s take a look at some of his big moments:

That time he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

He was only president for a year at the time, mind you. Not an easy feat.

That one video he made for BuzzFeed.

Obama: *Tries to dip cookie into glass of milk*

Obama: *Cookie is too big*

Obama: *Shakes his head*

Obama: Thanks, Obama

His support for same-sex marriage.

The legalization of same-sex marriage was a very important first step for the LGBTQIA+ movement, and Barack Obama’s involvement played no small part in this decision.

His chat with Stephen Colbert about applying for jobs.

Gotta spice up that resume, y’know?

His exits.

Obama out.

You know Sonia Sotomayor?

You know, the first Latina to be a Supreme Court Justice? Guess who nominated her. Go on. Guess.

Or when he practically made the news by buying ice cream.

Read: Obama endorses ice cream, not froyo.

The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

While it may not have completely eliminated the gender wage gap, it’s still a crucial step toward true gender equality.

Along with the Violence Against Women Act.

Like many other acts, this one doesn’t address all the problems it potentially could, but its renewal was still essential in many ways.

Barack and Michelle dancing to “Thriller”.

Wait, that was just this week?

That time he repealed Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

How about we not constantly mistreat people who serve and sacrifice for our country because of their sexual orientation?

When he brought onstage his “Anger Translator”.

Now we know what he’s really thinking.

The Matthew Shepard Act.

Not only did this act expand the definition of what constitutes a hate crime, but it also strengthens the fight against them.

And of course, the time he joked about his pastry chef putting crack in his pies.

Michelle: No, he doesn’t.

Obviously, there are many more cool things that Obama did or was a part of during the past eight years, but this is a start. What are you going to miss about the Obama presidency?

Tamara is a Communication major at University of Califonia, Santa Barbara. Having grown up in the Mojave desert, Tamara can't get enough of the dream weather and natural beauty of Santa Barbara. When not studying or working on her novel, she spends her free time listening to music, crafting, exploring the world around her, and settling into a corner with a good book.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay