This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

This article is dedicated to the female veterans across the nation who have served and to those within our own community at UCSB.

A Glance at the History of Female Veterans

Every November, we celebrate National Veteran’s Month and Veteran’s Day for those who served our country. According to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Veteran’s Day is “a celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.” This holiday was originally created to honor those who sacrificed for peace and the end of World War I, but was later changed to honor veterans following their extreme efforts during World War II. Although history focuses on the battles of freedom and justice won by males, females have been vital assets to the U.S. Military since the country’s birth to present day!

Image via Veterans & Families Research Hub

Before the permanent residence of females in military service, many women helped in war efforts through traditional aiding roles such as nurses or cooks. Their involvement began as early as the American Revolution and the Civil War. Some even risked their lives disguised as men to enter combat. In fact, the World War Organization reported that some women were given larger roles during the early days of World War I due to the decrease in male numbers as a result of European deployment. The U.S. Navy enlisted females to fill the demand under the title of Female Yeomen. They worked alongside their male counterparts and even received the same pay.

The U.S. Government passed the Women’s Armed Forces Integration Act of 1948 following World War II, allowing women to be enlisted as full, permanent military members. Their future opportunities within the military only continued to grow, with nearly three million females serving to date! Female veterans are predicted to make up 11% of the veteran population by 2020, and those on active-duty in 2016 made up around 15% of the military population. The latest update in policy permitted females to apply for combat roles! The importance of females in the military has not gone unnoticed. Their history showcases how essential they continue to be for the freedom and safety of the U.S.

In Our Community

“ Don’t be afraid to keep trying, regardless of what life throws at you. There will be several ups and downs throughout your journey, but keeping yourself afloat is crucial. While your educational efforts are based on your own performance, don’t be afraid to ask for help and have fun from time to time. Whether that is in family, friends, or professional help, know that you’re not alone and it is possible to achieve greater heights than you could imagine.” – Jessica Goff

Here on campus, we are honored to have seven female veterans for the fall 2019 quarter, along with two staff members. Our veterans bring an enriched and diverse perspective to student life and academia. I had the pleasure of speaking to our fellow Gaucho, Jessica Goff. Jessica served in the U.S. Navy for two and a half years and recently transferred from Santa Barbara Community College (SBCC) to join the UCSB Class of 2021.

Jessica is originally from Temecula, CA, and she is interested in pursuing a career in educational administration, the video game industry, or the Japanese animation industry. She says that her discipline and attention to detail are the two greatest skills she transferred from her time in the service to academia. Her favorite places to go in Santa Barbara are McConnell’s Ice Cream, public libraries, and the Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation.

Although she just transferred, Jessica thinks that the welcoming community, vibrant student body, and helpful staff are what make UCSB special. She describes UCSB as “a place anyone can be a part of so long as they are willing to put their efforts towards community and prosperity… Being a beachside campus is a definite plus though.” One of her favorite memories on campus so far is the Nintendo Switch Together Tour, a recent event hosted by UCSB. She believes that events like this showcase that the university cares about multiple aspects of student life. What I personally admire the most about Jessica is her perseverance. She appealed her original admission decision to get the spot she deserved at UCSB, earning a 4.0 during her last quarter at SBCC!

I would like to thank Jessica Goff and the UCSB Veterans Center Coordinator, Coby Dillard, for their time and contribution to this article. Remember to thank those who have served this November!    

Eliana is a Sociology major with an Applied Psych minor at UC Santa Barbara. She was raised in California's Central Valley and is a proud first-generation university student! When she's not busy with school or work, she loves cooking, spending time with family and friends, and learning TikTok dances. She aspires to one day open a brunch cafe and travel the world! She is a fan of all things beauty, music, and most importantly - fun!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus