This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

College is an incredibly unique time — you are facing increasing independence and responsibility, yet you are probably not completely on your own yet! This means that you have a rare opportunity to try new things. If you fail, you still have a safety net of resources and support to fall back on. You can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue on, having learned valuable lessons. Even better, if you succeed, you gain valuable skills in the form of firsthand experiences and connections. 

While the possibilities are truly endless, one especially invaluable skill to hone during college is leadership. Between campus organizations, student government, and so much more, there are boundless opportunities to sharpe your leadership skills! Here are a few ways to consider getting involved:

Registered Campus Organizations

Did you know there are over 500 Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs) at UCSB? They range in focus from cultural, to musical, to community service, to professional, and more, meaning that there is surely one that aligns with your interests! 

By joining an RCO (like Her Campus at UCSB!), you can meet people with similar interests and passions, and you also gain access to leadership opportunities within the organization. Whether it be running for a board position, or by taking a more informal leadership approach like joining committees, there is definitely no shortage of opportunities here!

And on the off chance that there is not already an RCO that speaks to you, it is totally in your power to start one! What better way to practice leadership than spearheading a new organization on campus?

Greek Life

Joining a sorority on campus is another way to find leadership opportunities. Although they are technically RCOs, I would argue that they are a completely unique experience. There are of course executive boards in Greek life that you can join, and there are also philanthropic opportunities that allow you to give back to your community!

If you are not interested in joining a traditional sorority, there are many pre–professional fraternities on campus (both co–ed and not) that can provide you with an experience more tailored to your career interests. These may provide especially invaluable leadership opportunities, as they may translate more directly into your work after college.

Kellyn Simpkin-Strong Ass Powerful Girl
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

Jobs

If you are employed during college, you may be able to find leadership positions at your job! This will of course depend on where you work and the opportunities available there, but know that it is definitely possible to move up in the ranks! 

Especially in a college town like Isla Vista or in an on–campus job, where most of if not all the employees are students, it is totally within reach to get a promotion that gives you more leadership responsibilities.

And if you’re not sure what openings there are, or if you are being considered for any of them, it never hurts to ask. In fact, communication is an invaluable skill that all leaders should have, so why not get some practice by advocating for yourself!

Associated Students

I don’t know about you, but I am constantly getting emails from various Associated Students (A.S.) offices notifying me to open positions that are hiring. If you are passionate about giving back to your peers and community, then this might just be the path for you!

Some of the offices that send emails to the student body advertising positions include the Office of the President, Human Rights Board, Committee on Committees, and Elections Board. With just a quick search of the word “hiring” in my inbox brought up tons of emails about A.S. hiring positions. And many of them are paid!

If you are looking to take it one step further, A.S. elections happen in Spring quarter of each school year. Elected officials of course have an incredible amount of leadership responsibilities as well, so that is always another option to keep on your radar!

Her Campus

Of course I have to throw in a little plug for Her Campus, which provides leadership opportunities to all of its participants. Being student–run, there is an executive board that members can apply to be on. This is of course a more explicit means of taking on leadership responsibilities, but even if a board position is not your cup of tea, not to worry!

Members have the option to receive internship credit, which comes with a certain level of responsibility required to ensure good quality content and production. So, if you’re looking for both leadership opportunities and a creative outlet, Her Campus is a great option for you!

Whatever you are passionate about and interested in, there are opportunities for you to enjoy that and also practice your leadership skills while at UCSB. Hopefully, this list gave you some guidance on where to start looking and leading!

Hi, I'm Sloan, and I'm a second-year sociology major at UCSB! I love the beach, music, going to the gym, and cats. I am interested in mental health, fashion, sports, and so much more. I can't wait to share my passions with you through Her Campus!