This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Navigating the often changing stories of ethical brands can be tough, even just due to the sheer number of options out there. I’ve compiled a list of a few of my favorite fairtrade brands to help you out, making it that much easier to make ethical shopping choices instead of reverting back into the norm of big brands with questionable production practices. Having a good conscience when you shop does not necessarily have to be break the bank either. Here are my five guilt-free options:

1. Alternative Apparel 

Alternative Apparel has free shipping and 20% off for students (finally, someone acknowledges the ridiculous expense of tertiary education) but that’s not even the best part about it! Not only does this brand abide by Fair Labor Association Workplace Code of Conduct but it is also good for the earth, making their products from 65% sustainable fabrics and aiming to push that higher and higher. Such a great choice if you want to buy activewear or basics with a clean conscience. Don’t pay for overpriced singlets made in questionable warehouses in Bangladesh – make sure you know what you are supporting.

2. Re:loom 

This is amazing. Re:loom was set up to provide people staying in homeless shelters in the US a new skill – weaving carpets, rugs, bags and anything you can think of. All profits go to Atlanta’s Initiative for Affordable Housing and all products are up-cycled. This would be such a sweet gift for someone social justice minded!

3. The Root Collective 

100% women and worker owned shoe making co-operative, designing beautiful and empowering shoes for the world. Why would you waste money giving it to a corporation when you can buy these and help pull families out of decades of gang violence and unemployment in Guatemala. These ones are a little pricey but honestly, I dare you to watch their promo video and not tear up a little bit.

4. Dignify 

Dignify works with women living on the streets or in sex work in Bangladesh and gives them work making primarily ‘kantha’ quilts but also a range of different products – I especially like their vibrant and raw jewelry which is super reasonably priced. The story of how the company began is very sweet and well worth a read, if you’re interested but basically the products sold on this site are made with dignity, fair wages and a story of hope. The kantha blankets are stunning, though a little out of a student’s price range, but you should definitely ogle at how gorgeous they are, made out of recycled saris.

Getting in the habit of looking a little more closely at your favorite brands’ social responsibility principles isn’t difficult and has wonderful consequences for the communities you are supporting. Not only does it empower and economically benefit poor communities, but the products are often so unique that people ask about them – providing you with a great story to share with each purchase.

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.