Anna Schultz-Girls Laying In Grass At The Park
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Embracing Hyperfemininity Is More Than A Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Jojo Siwa and the Dance Moms era were responsible for my early fascination with bows, and while it waned over time, this year’s trends have reignited this love with fervor. I’ve started to covet ribbons of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Bows add a distinctive touch, a subtle hint of femininity to every outfit. So, while I have always preferred minimalism in my fashion, I have come to indulge in the personalization that small touches and minuscule details provide.

I am not alone in my newly rekindles love for bows. The New York Times quoted trend analyst Mandy Lee on ribbons, noting that “the current bow obsession in the fashion world ‘has to do with the accessibility of ribbons, the emphasis on hyperfeminity and the rise of aesthetics like ‘ballet-core’ and ‘girlhood.’” Ms. Lee further specified that “despite the nod to childhood and nostalgia, bows have been tools for rebellion, specifically against the rise of minimalism in the era of quiet luxury.

Other trends have also had prominent hyperfeminine motives. Take pajama sets for instance; the rise in cute camisoles and matching shorts offers another way for girls to customize and aestheticize their style. Comfortable and chic, this trend is quintessentially feminine. Brandy Melville now features an intimates collection and has widely popularized their matching cotton PJ sets. They’re dainty, embellished with lacey frills and polka dots. They’re not sexy, just girly. It’s an ode to the nature of being a girl, of wanting to sleep in something pretty even if no one sees it but you.

My urge to personalize (or feminize) my outfits reflects my creative side but is also an exploration of identity — a celebration of the unique experiences that come with being a girl.

Whenever I walk into my girl friends’ dorms, I analyze and admire how they’ve chosen to design their space, noticing first which little details bring everything together. Each dorm room is a canvas reflecting personal taste, experiences, and a shared understanding of what it means to embrace femininity. Fairy lights strung across the ceiling, a consistent color scheme, and desks cluttered with moisturizers, lip-gloss, and hair curlers are a uniquely feminine aesthetic. It’s a manifestation of self-care and an acknowledgment of the rituals that contribute to feeling confident and beautiful.

Subtle elements have shown me the importance of expressing individuality — even as it reflects uniformity in the grand scheme. Corset-tops, ruffles, floral patterns, ballet-flats, and pearl accents all inherently add a classic feminine touch. For me, incorporating these elements often contributes to a sense of elegance that fuels my confidence. I have always gone by a motto of “dress for success” and adding whimsical, dainty embellishments has helped me feel poised and put-together, like I’m ready to take on the day.

Accessorizing has helped translate my personality too. I can express my uniqueness, revealing the intricacies of who I am. And who am I? A girl! These accessories help show that not only is it my identity by chance, but that I really do love being a girl.

When other girls compliment the bows I tied into my up-do or they rave about my PJ set, I feel loved. It’s more than mere acknowledgement, it’s warmth in admiration, a tangible expression of collective understanding. Embracing femininity brings joy, proving it is far more than just a materialistic trend.

Hi! I'm Margot, a first-year student majoring in Global Studies at UCSB. I grew up in New Jersey but later moved to the Seattle area (bless Santa Barbara for saving me from all those rainy days). I'm an editorial intern but when I'm not writing for Her Campus, I like to eat good food, read, and make pottery or scrapbooks.