An Easy DIY Valentine’s Day Gift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Whether you’re going to be celebrating Valentine’s Day with your significant other or you’re single and want to hangout with your pals instead, it’s always nice to show them that you care with a little token of appreciation. It’s also midterms week this week, so I know a lot of people are procrastinating, so why not make someone a nice gift that is both cute and affordable? This time I am going to teach you to make a cute mason jar to give to a special someone! Instead of doing one mason jar, you can also stack up a couple of small mason jars and include different things inside based on what you feel like making.

These are just ideas and what you plan to do in the end is ultimately up to you so be as creative as you want to be! Making this/these jar(s) is meant to be really open-ended so you can substitute as you feel appropriate.

Materials needed:

• Mason jar(s) (you can get them at the IV Food Co-op for about $1)

A list of possible things you might need depending on what you’re making

• 1 post it pad or pieces of paper that you can roll up or fold up (if you’re planning on putting notes inside the jar)

• 1-2 sharing sized bags of candy or individually packed candies (if you’re planning on putting candy inside the jars)

• Anything that you can think of that you want to give the person you’re making this gift for

• Chapstick or lip balms are always cute

• Small accessories (Earrings etc.)  

• Paint (optional) if you feel like decorating the outside of the jar

• Ribbon or stickers if you want to decorate the outside of the jar

• Balloon(s)

• Flowers

• Paint markers

• Glue/ glitter/ glitter glue The Directions

• Washi tape

The Directions: 

1. Get the mason jar and take off the cap.

2. Decorate the jar however you feel like decorating it. You can decorate it by painting it, putting ribbon on it, or even sticking stickers on it! If you are painting the jar, wait until the jar is completely dry to avoid making any scratches or marks on the wet paint. You can also paint on the cap to decorate it or stick something on there to make it look less bare.

3. If you are opting to put something inside the jar, this would be the time to do it! If you want to put notes inside the jar, you can take the paper and write notes on it then roll it or fold it up to put in the jar (your preference).

For example, for a friend you can write reasons why you’re thankful for them or, for your significant other you can write reasons why you love them. (For Parks and Recreation fans out there, you can put Leslie Knope type compliments!)

You can also put some gifts at the bottom of the jar so there’s a surprise waiting for the gift recipient at the bottom!  

4. Optional: Tie a ribbon around the neck of the jar to add more detail. Here, you can also tie a balloon or two to the neck of the jar if you’re feeling extra nice! The glass jar should be heavy enough that your gift doesn’t float away.

5. Optional: If you are making a stack of small jars, you can tie a ribbon around the whole stack to add more detail.

6. After you finish decorating and filling the jar, you’re done!

I hope that this is helpful and I hope everyone has lots of fun doing this! Happy Valentine’s Day collegiettes!

Hello! Devonne is a fourth year Chinese major with an applied psychology minor. She loves to binge watch shows on Netflix, trying out new food, and writing her penpals during her free time. She has an obsession with being organized and the Container Store a little too much. She is also interested in learning more about watercolor painting and modern calligraphy. 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.