Cafe Bagle Coffee Laptop
Cafe Bagle Coffee Laptop
Michele Hu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

Dank Bowls Kitchen Unleashes Bagel Bliss In Isla Vista!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On an early morning in Isla Vista, I ventured into Dank Bowls Kitchen, seeking something savory to suppress my appetite. Little did I know that I would find a gem — a brand-new bagel menu. Personally, I get phases where bagels are my obsession, or my “Roman Empire,” if you will. The freshly made bagel from Dank Bowls did more than satisfy my cravings; it inspired a deeper dive into the story behind this local spot and the mastermind behind it all.

While I was inside, the restaurant’s founder, Daniel Dunietz, was excitedly explaining his hopes for his menu and the lineups he’d created. From first impressions alone, I noticed his passion and dedication to his business. After the interview, this was confirmed all the more. Daniel is someone who makes you listen with piqued interest and equal enthusiasm when he talks about his bagels; he’s got you captivated and ready to buy the rest of the day’s inventory. Like he told me, once you try them, you never go back!

I compiled a few questions that give insight to both the history of Dank Bowls Kitchen and its new bagels. Here are Daniel’s responses:

“Can you share a unique or interesting fact about the origin of opening Dank Bowls that customers might find intriguing?”

D:  Absolutely. What most people don’t know is that my original vision for a restaurant was actually called “Blunts and Bagels,” and it would be a cannabis-themed bagel shop serving up both classic bagel sandwiches and unique, stoner-friendly treats. When I couldn’t find a decent bagel supplier in town, I pivoted to bread bowls and have been serving them ever since. 

In retrospect, I should have recognized the massive need for a decent bagel and taken the time back then to teach myself how to bake and prepare bagels. It was only after spending a few weeks in New York this past summer visiting family that I had the epiphany that I needed to start making bagels. My fiancé is from Long Island, and I have spent a ton of time in the city visiting family, not to mention my home town of Chicago has some seriously delicious bagel joints. The bottom line for me is that I have had full-blown cravings for a good bagel in Santa Barbara and have been unable to find a spot that can fulfill them. The simple joy of being able to eat a warm, freshly baked bagel every morning is more than enough to keep me going.

“How has the restaurant evolved since its opening? Are there any memorable milestones or challenges that have shaped its journey?”

D: We’ve only been open for a few weeks, but in that time we’ve really tried and perfected all the aspects of bagel making and sandwich creation. We had to install a 40-qt mixer within the first week of operations because our much smaller mixer was simply not getting the job done. Bagel dough is quite stiff relative to other bread doughs–it’s what gives the bagel its signature chew–so you need a powerful mixer to handle the workload. Our 40-qt has a 1.5-horsepower motor, and was specifically designed to handle the stress of bagel dough.

As we’ve scaled up production, we’ve had to adapt to different factors. Rolling 144 bagels in a day is much different than rolling 48. We’ve had to learn the different proofing times and challenges that come with larger batch sizes and production. Another crucial component of the bagel business is what you do with it once it’s baked. We’ve all had a lot of fun experimenting with sandwich building and schmears. I truly believe that a bagel shop is only as good as its schmears, which is Yiddish for “spread” or “cream cheese,” and we’ve had a lot of fun perfecting our recipes!  

“Are there any unique or signature bagel creations that you believe are particularly appealing?”

D: Right now, we’ve been serving a traditional, simple menu of classic bagel sandwiches. We’ve got our Deluxe: lox (smoked salmon for the uninitiated), chive schmear, sliced red onions, tomatoes, and capers. It’s my all-time favorite food to eat, and I’m basically eating one every morning. We also do a classic egg and cheese sandwich, cooking the eggs right on our flat top and seasoning them to perfection with a slice of melted cheese. And of course we’ve got the bacon, egg, and cheese, and a variation we call the “Gaucho,” where we add Pico de Gallo and chipotle mayo or pesto for an awesome bagel treat. I’d really like to experiment with some lunch deli sandwiches like a roast beef, Russian dressing sandwich, or turkey club, but our space is limited, and I want to make sure that anything we sell is absolutely fantastic.  

“How do you ensure that the bagels are made fresh daily, and what efforts have been made to maintain quality and authenticity?”

D: Keeping our bagels fresh is simple; we will never sell a day-old bagel. We boil and bake them every morning, and at this point, it’s a toss-up whether we sell out or not. If we do have leftovers, I offer them to my hard-working staff first, and stop by the park, and give whatever else we’ve got to the houseless to help them out.

“What sets your bagel menu apart from other options in the area, and how do you envision it becoming a go-to choice for UCSB students?”

D: I truly believe the best way to answer the question of what sets our bagels apart is by trying one. I’ve spent nearly half a year studying bagel making and have a near-obsession with creating the perfect bagel. I’ve prepared hundreds of batches at this point and have experimented with every variable you can imagine–ratios, yeast type, flour type, mixing and proofing times, boil times, etc. 

In many ways, I feel as though I am connecting with my ancestors. My grandfather grew up in a small Jewish community in Poland, the birthplace of the bagel, and I can only imagine that my distant family was making and eating bagels for centuries. While I don’t have an extensive menu, I think that’s what helps keep the quality top-notch. Everything we’re serving is prepared from scratch and by people who deeply care about serving the best bagel in Santa Barbara.  

Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

If you’re ever in need of some breakfast or brunch, be sure to hit up this spot! I cannot recommend it enough, and I hope that everyone in their right mind has the sense to try out a bagel from Dank Bowls Kitchen!

Hi! I'm Margot, a first-year student majoring in Global Studies at UCSB. I grew up in New Jersey but later moved to the Seattle area (bless Santa Barbara for saving me from all those rainy days). I'm an editorial intern but when I'm not writing for Her Campus, I like to eat good food, read, and make pottery or scrapbooks.