This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

When I was in the seventh grade, a boy in my class made the one remark you are NOT supposed to say to a person with curly hair. 

“You would look so much better if your hair was straight.” 

This seemingly harmless phrase stuck with me for years. I tried everything from flat-ironing my curls to crisps every night to tying it up so nobody could see the unruly mane. To me, my hair was a curse that needed to be controlled.

I didn’t start embracing my natural hair texture until my sister Skylar (who also has curly hair) became a curl specialist. She recently just opened a salon called CurlCraft in San Diego that is made specifically for people with textured hair. She preaches to her clients the power of embracing your natural hair instead of using damaging heat styling tools to try and change it. She has educated me and her many curly hair followers a ton on curly hair care. I’ll be sharing essential curly hair tips I’ve picked up from Skylar that you can implement into your hair routine too.

The Number #1 Rule

Do not, and I cannot stress this enough, brush your hair dry. Brushing your hair dry will make it look like you just got electrocuted. Only brush your hair in the shower when it’s fully wet and has conditioner in it.

Towels

Whenever I see a friend with curly hair get out of the shower and dry their hair with a regular towel, I scream. It’s even worse when they aggressively rub their hair with a towel. Cotton towels cause your hair to frizz up due to the uneven surface of the fabric. Instead, try microfiber towels. Microfiber towels keep your curls intact without causing frizziness because it doesn’t strip your hair of its moisture. Curly hair is prone to breakage and frizz, so it’s important to use the right materials to dry your hair. 

Coloring and Heat Styling 

It’s okay to color your hair or use hot tools occasionally, but never both. If you do both, the chemical and heat damage will cause your curl pattern to deflate. Last year, I made the mistake of bleaching my hair and flat-ironing it a lot. My curls took months to be revived. 

My Go-To Products 

The Ouidad styling gel is perfect for all curly hair types. This gel holds your curls in place and even improves your hair’s natural lipid barrier. It’s best to apply this product when your hair is wet. Below, I further explain how I use the Ouidad styling gel in my hair routine. Another product I absolutely love is the Olaplex No.3 Hair Repair Perfector. This is a hair treatment you use prior to shampoo that repairs damage and split ends caused by heat styling. This came in the clutch after I bleached my hair. Did I mention it also smells amazing? 

Applying Product 

There are a number of ways to style your hair with products. The one technique that has worked my hair type the best is the “rake and scrunch” method. After my hair is fully wet, I add gel to the palm of my hand and rub my hands together so it’s all over. Then I flip my hair forward and rake my fingers through it so the product is evenly distributed. I also make sure I start raking from the roots to the ends. Then, I put a little more gel on my hands and start scrunching my hair while it’s still flipped forward. After the product is in my hair, I don’t touch it with a towel or my hands. Instead, I take a diffuser to blow-dry it, which dries the hair without losing my curls. 

Get a Dry Curly Haircut 

Curly hair is not the same as straight hair. When curly hair is wet, it looks straight and longer, but then shrinks up as it dries. When you cut curly hair wet, you can’t see the natural shape and length of the hair, which can lead to a disappointing haircut. Instead, try getting a dry curly haircut so the stylist can see where the curls fall in their natural state. It’s also important to note that many hairstylists only have experience with straight hair, so they may use techniques not right for your hair. Try finding a stylist that has experience with curly hair so they can meet your specific needs. 

Instead of trying to tame the mane, treat your curls with kindness with the right methods and tools. 

Hi! My name is Zoe and I am a fourth year history of public policy and law major at UCSB.