Critiquing the #MeToo Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I don’t like the #metoo social media movement. No, it’s not because I don’t believe the stories of those who are sharing this hashtag, and it’s definitely not because I’m worried about anyone’s reputation being “tarnished.” I’ve had my own personal negative experiences with the onslaught of Facebook posts, and I’m not the only one. 

Many of the people in my inner circle were surprised to hear me say negative things about #metoo, considering my position as an outspoken feminist and feminist studies major, but I think there are a few things wrong with the trending hashtag.

The original post calls for women to share their stories or a simple “me too,” leaving out those who identify as trans* and non-binary.

While I can understand that the intention was to keep the focus on women instead of creating a genderless issue, gender nonconforming folks experience alarmingly high rates of violence, and are often left out of mainstream social justice movements.

Image via Amherst Trans & Non-Binary Resources

Sharing #metoo makes women appear passive, while there is no trending hashtag where responsibility is taken for normalizing sexist behavior.

I understand that the #metoo movement is important in bringing light to the severity of the incredibly widespread problems of sexual harassment and assault. However, by having women share experiences of actions taken against them while no one takes responsibility for allowing sexist actions to occur, the issue remains largely unresolved. 

Any public identification of personal responsibility would have been significant in identifying some of the ways in which rape culture in created and maintained, and would have given some context for why the problems of sexual harassment and violence are not getting better. 

Image via Twitter

Whether it’s by laughing at a rape joke or defending the behaviors of a friend accused of predatory behavior, any public display of regret is important in pointing out the root causes of a huge social problem. 

#Metoo re-traumatizes and triggers many survivors of sexual violence, while making them feel obligated to share their trauma.

For survivors of sexual violence, seeing detailed posts of similar forms of violence others have experienced can be an incredibly anxiety-provoking experience. These stories can cause survivors to relive their trauma, and the instruction to “just stay off of social media” is not realistic.

Image via Google Images

#Metoo also put many survivors in the difficult position of debating whether or not they wanted to share their personal stories. While some were more than willing to inform the world of the injustices they experienced, many of those who were less comfortable sharing their traumatic experiences felt an overwhelming obligation. 

#Metoo often equates many different forms of trauma as the same.

In no way do I mean to trivialize anyone’s pain with this statement, as I believe that trauma exists on a spectrum. However, some forms of trauma are more severe than others (i.e. catcalling versus sexual violence). Sharing a simple “me too” has the potential to oversimplify complex issues and differing effects of sexual harassment and assault.

This article is not meant to invalidate anyone’s decision to post “me too.” Making the decision to share personal stories of pain, trauma and unwarranted embarrassment is an incredibly brave thing to do, and I am incredibly inspired by those who told us their stories. All social movements have issues, and these are a few of my critiques of the #metoo movement that I feel could use some work in the future.

Hey there! My name is Morgan, and I'm a third year transfer student at UCSB. I attended the University of Colorado Boulder my freshman year, and Santa Monica College my sophomore year. I'm a feminist studies major, and I plan on pursuing a career in either human rights law or journalism. Hope you enjoy my articles!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)