This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Check the feed, eat, sleep, repeat. This is a cycle we all know too well. Social media has become an integral part of our lives and it’s not going anywhere. There’s so much valuable information and inspiration we get from social media but the content can change in a quick swipe. From explore pages to sponsored posts, users can’t control what they see as we scroll but here’s a few tips on how to create healthier social media feeds. 

white iphone on white background with pink notification cards
Cristian Dina via Pexels

We’ve all heard about algorithms on every social media platform that choose the best content “for you” based on posts that you interact with. Do your best to interact with positive content and ignore posts that impact you negatively. It can be easy to fall into an internet spiral of responding to trolls and rumors. The algorithm does not know the difference between commenting on something you love versus responding to troll comments. Also, remember that once we see whatever content generated by social media it is up to decide how it makes us feel and what we do with it. 

phone with social media displayed on screen
Erik Lucatero | Unsplash

What we do have control over is who we follow. The accounts we follow should be a safe space that does not make you feel bad about yourself. Follow creators that inspire you and curate your subscription boxes so that you don’t drift from the content that you love. The TikTok “for you page” can lead to hours of scrolling and you’re likely to stumble upon triggering content so switching over to your following tab is a much healthier way to enjoy the platform. Also, don’t be afraid to purge who you follow on social media and be more mindful about who you follow. Just because an influencer has millions of followers does not always mean that their influence is going to be positive.

woman working on her laptop at desk, with notebooks, flowers, and coffee on desk
Photo by Anthony Shkraba from Pexels

Social media is a great way to find content based on your interest but when you follow your friends, celebrities, influencers, and family all of the content gets shuffled together. Creating separate accounts to follow only fashion accounts or vegan recipes is a great way to use social media for good. Starting fresh on a separate account allows you to use the algorithm to your advantage and filter the positive content. 

sign on phone stating Social Media harms your mental health
Photo by Christopher Ott from Unsplash

Social media gives everyone a platform so it is important we do our part by spreading positive messages and do the best we can to lift others up in our corner of cyberspace. If it is best for you to limit your screen time on certain apps or cleanse yourself of social media completely, it takes time to find a balance online. Whether it’s an Instagram story or a Youtube video, everything we see on social media has an effect and we can only do our best to develop healthy habits when scrolling on our phones. 

First year dance major at UCSB.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus