Costco Hacks for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Life as a college student is hard: we have to learn how to cook and clean while studying to get A’s in our classes – UGH! Some things are possible, like pulling an all-nighter to start and finish an essay or studying while hungover, but some things aren’t, like waking up on time for an 8am class or actually cooking dinner instead of stopping at Freebs for nachos.

Here are 5 Costco hacks to make college cooking easier and more entertaining! 

1. Treasure Hunting

Did you know that Costco employees switch items around every 2 weeks? Yes, that’s right, every two weeks they do inventory. So, next time you go to Costco and feel as though something is “off,” you’re probably right.

2. Costco samples are LIFE!

Stop sneaking around and shying away from the sample tables. You’re allowed to take as many at a time and as often as you want!

3. Early birds gets…to go in early?

Costco allows members to go into the store 15 minutes before the store actually opens.

4. Chicken Bake Pizza!

Yes, that IS a thing. Employees won’t recommend or mention it, but Costco does have a secret menu! Go try it out at the food court next time.

5. No Costco Card? No problem!

Did you know you do NOT need a Costco card to use their pharmacy and…wait for it, buy ALCOHOL? That’s right, if you want to go to Costco to buy alcohol, wine, or beer, you don’t need a card to get into the store or at the register when you pay.

Enjoy these Costco hacks! You’re welcome.

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.