Comfy Sweater Weather: 15 Indie Songs for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The return of the legendary red cup from Starbucks can only mean one thing – winter is upon us! As much as I am a summer girl who loves eighty degree weather and an excuse to eat ice cream every hour of the day, being wrapped like a burrito in blankets in crisp weather sounds irresistible right about now. Autumn and winter are seasons specifically made for every girl to wear their favorite comfy oversized sweater, drink hot cocoa, and lay in bed, with a soothing autumn playlist that makes us feel as if we’re starring in our own indie movie. We’ve all dreamt about meeting the skinny jeans-dawning hipster love of our life (who may or may not resemble James Franco) in a quaint coffee shop next to our apartment in New York City. Until then, we have to settle with this kick-ass playlist that is sure to evoke the quintessential feelings winter has to offer us. 

1. Lego House – Ed Sheeran
  2. Poison and Wine – The Civil Wars
  3. Sweetest Kill – Broken Social Scene
  4. Wide Eyes – Local Natives
  5. Shake It Out – Florence and the Machine
  6. Blackbird – Cameron Mitchell
  7. Radio – Mansions on the Moon
  8. Alaska – Teen Daze
  9. Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones
  10.  Tracing – John Mayer
  11. Old Friend – Sea Wolf
  12.  Towers – Bon Iver
  13. The Sound Your Life Makes – Jason Bajada
  14.  Let Her Go – Passenger
  15. Ragged Wood – Fleet Foxes
Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.