College Fashion Week Santa Barbara Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On October 20, 2012, Her Campus ended their College Fashion Week nationwide tour with a West Coast finale here in sunny Santa Barbara. The HC College Fashion Week Fashion Show was held at the Carrillo Recreation Center in downtown Santa Barbara, where the entire center was transformed to have a NYC night club vibe centered around the runway. Tons of collegiates and Her Campus supporters lined the doors to watch UCSB students strut their stuff on the runway. Windsor Hanger, the President, publisher, and co-founder of HerCampus, emceed the event, and promoted the theme of the fashion show for collegiates everywhere to “Upgrade Your Life!”

The Her Campus College Fashion Week finale encouraged girls to “Upgrade Your Life” by having the student models walk the runway in upgraded versions of outfits from four everyday scenarios – the classroom, gym, weekend, and formals. Her Campus worked to show that everyday does not have to be a frumpy sweatpants kind of day! The classroom portion of the fashion show consisted of comfy and casual dresses, colored jeans, and blouses. The gym models traded in their worn out shorts and shirts for trendy work out leggings and Her Campus t-shirts that are guaranteed to make any trip to the gym more enjoyable. The weekend models donned printed jeggings, colorful dresses, and stylish hats to keep the Santa Barbara sun out of their eyes. Last but not least, the formal models wore cocktail dresses that were both girl and guy approved! Models were ecstatic to wear clothing from Gap Athletic, Banana Republic, BCBG, Calvin Klein, Guess, Michael Kors, and Francesca’s on State Street.

The crowd wen
t wild to hear the three UCSB student performance groups between each fashion show. Noone could take their eyes off of BFOM (Brothas From Otha Mothas, an all-male acapella pop group), Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus (a psychedelic blues band), and W.H.A.T. (With Heart And Talent, a hip hop dance crew). Models, Her Campus staff, and audience members could not stop raving about the complimentary Her Campus College Survival Kits, which included U by Kotex samples, CalNatural Svelte gluten and dairy-free protein drinks, Luna Energy Bars, Unreal candy bars, Stevia in the Raw, makeup, hair accessories, Her Campus merchandise, and a Chipotle gift card. Every collegiate who attended the Her Campus College Fashion Week finale in Santa Barbara adored being pampered with their VIP treatment of the Survival Kit, unlimited candy bar station, and professional photographers snapping their pictures.

Her Campus’s College Fashion Week finale in Santa Barbara gave us a taste of NY fashion week with a pinch of collegiate flare that made the only West Coast CFW show worthwhile. To check out the gorgeous pictures from the night, take a look at www.facebook.com/HerCampus .  

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.