clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Academics

Changing My Major (As An Incoming Senior)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Am I crazy? A little. Am I actually switching my major as an incoming fourth year? Absolutely.

Nearly every quarter when registering for classes, I would have an identity crisis. I’d debate in a continuous carousel in my mind if the major I’d chosen was right for me. Was it what I wanted? What future did I imagine for myself? Could I be doing something more? The decision felt momentous, but I’d always tell myself I was too far into my college career to change; except now I’ve decided to switch—right before I’m about to be a Senior.

The timing isn’t great. I debated with myself for so long that I barely have enough time to complete the required courses, even with summer school included, but the fact that I’d constantly second guess myself each quarter when registering for classes is the only sign I needed to know that this was the right decision for me.

At first, I held myself back. I was under so much pressure from surrounding forces and from within myself. So many students are expected to follow the four-year track and are given all the more praise if they graduate early. It can start to feel as if we are in a never-ending competition to do the most in the least amount of time. Running in this  race, I lost sight of the real goal. 

Of course, the social goal is to graduate and obtain a degree, but the personal goal is to find and pursue the things that spark joy. I understand that this can be hard when weighing in pressures from others, especially family. I’ve experienced disapproving murmurs and disappointed gazes, but in the grand scheme of things they don’t mean a thing to me. What I find to be much  more important is finding the courses that actually make me excited to go to class, learn, and get my work done. Call me a nerd, but we’re all paying to go to college. I intend to get as much  out of it as possible.

I realized that I was competing in a never-ending race I didn’t want to be in  when I’d be doing my homework in the library, and I’d be envious of the work I saw other students doing. I just felt dissatisfied. This was irking because I’d spent so much time pursuing these classes and putting in the work, and yet the major and I simply weren’t working out.

The decision to change my major so late into my college experience made me feel like I’d be behind, like I was losing my momentum in the long run. However,  the finish line is different for everyone, and it’ll always shift. There’s no correct way to do college: whether you spend three years or more than five years completing college, take breaks and come back, or start way later in life, the only thing that matters is that you get your degree. How long it takes, when you do it, or even what you chose to pursue, is dependent on each person. 

I don’t think that deviating from the classic four-year track takes any weight away from the accomplishment itself, and you shouldn’t either. The extra pressure we put on ourselves and others to follow these unspoken rules only makes it worse for everyone. The reality of life is that things change, and even though it might be difficult and cause some chaos, an extra struggle now is worth the payoff later on.

I could graduate in three years, but I wouldn’t be fulfilled. I’d be disappointed in myself too, knowing I’m watching my lifelong dream go down the drain. The major I’m attempting to pursue so late, is the one that always intimidated me but would initiate my path toward my childhood dream job. I may have avoided it at first because I was too scared to fail, however, I’ve gotten to the point in my college career where if I fail I’ll be happy that I at least made the effort to try.

If you’ve been eyeing a certain major for a while now, I wouldn’t just throw yourself in, but maybe sit down and lay out the option. Is it plausible? Do you have enough space in your schedule? Are you willing to take more classes per quarter, and possibly enroll in summer school? These are the important questions to ask. I also hadn’t talked to an academic advisor my entire college career until I debated this decision. I wish I had gone sooner because if I had, I would’ve known that this is totally normal, and even if you think you’re too late, there could be a loophole you’re not seeing.

My academic path completely changed in the last two weeks and I know the road is going to be riddled with some challenges, but I’m excited about this new journey. The idea of new possibilities of what I can now pursue in the future is opening up, and I’m giddy with excitement to explore. In a period where everyone is racing to the finish, be the one who looks around to see if there’s another route worth taking.

Kristi is a third-year at UCSB studying sociology and history with a minor in feminist studies. In her spare time, you can find her trying to revive her peace lily, looking at photos of her dog, or watching benjiplant.