Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day With These Irish Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s almost time, people! I wait all year for March 17th, a day dedicated entirely to St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, characterized by glorious feasts, dancing, music, and whatever celebratory drinks you can legally enjoy!

While I have spent many St. Patrick’s Days stuffing my face with corn beef, cabbage, and Irish soda bread before proudly reminding everyone I know of my (small amount of) Irish ancestry, this year is different. 

Unfortunately, I will be spending St. Patrick’s Day in Davidson Library (4th floor mountainside) at UCSB, intensely studying, writing final papers, and otherwise mentally preparing for the last week of the quarter. 

However, just because many of us will be locking in for finals season does not mean we can’t celebrate our Irish friends. 

The combination of stressful days and the abundance of rain this quarter have made me yearn for nothing more than cozying up in bed and watching a movie after a day of studying. 

If you are like me, in theory, this seems like a great plan, but in practice, you end up scrolling various streaming platforms until you inevitably fall asleep. 

Lucky for you (get it?), I’ve compiled a list of great Irish movies, and movies with great Irish actors, for your next relaxing movie night, so you can celebrate everyone’s favorite green-themed holiday from the comfort of your home.

Little Women (2019)

Though there is nothing explicitly Irish about this movie, one of the main characters, Jo, is played by Saoirse Ronan, who was largely raised in Ireland and holds dual citizenship in the United States and Ireland.  

The movie itself, based on Louisa May Alcott’s book of the same title, is not the first rendition of the acclaimed novel, but I would argue it’s the best. 

Directed by Greta Gerwig, of Barbie fame, and with a cast consisting of our Irish demoiselle herself, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet, and Laura Dern, among other fantastic actors, this movie is certainly worth a watch.

Wild Mountain Thyme (2020)

I firmly believe that the best comfort movies are romantic comedies, and what better way to spend the evening of March 17th than with a story of star-crossed lovers caught up in drama and magic while chasing their dreams? 

The movie was filmed where is it set, in Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland, and is based on Irish-American director John Patrick Shanley’s play, “Outside Mullingar.”

If the star-studded cast list and beautiful scenery aren’t convincing enough, you should watch this movie because Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 26%. How is it that bad, even with great actors? I guess you’ll have to watch and decide for yourself.

The Hole in the Ground (2019)

I want this list of movies to be as comprehensive as possible, and that cannot happen without at least one horror film.

Even Ireland has not been all sunshine, happiness, and rainbows (or pots of gold), as can be observed from their history of famines, Viking raids, and colonialism, so some horror is appropriate.

Set in the Irish countryside, this movie follows the journey of a young boy who vanishes into the woods. Upon his reappearance, and disturbing behavior, his mother suspects him to be an impostor.

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

The best way to round out this collection of Irish (or at least Irish-related) cinema, is with a recent movie that has already proven to be outstanding, earning a 96% from Rotten Tomatoes.

This movie combines the best of both worlds, as it is technically a comedy and a drama; because it follows the triumphs and turmoils of a friendship, it’s also the perfect movie to watch with your besties

Whether you choose a movie from this list or another film to enjoy, I hope you are able to celebrate the Irish among us in a way that’s fitting for you—just remember to wear green!

Ally Jobe

UCSB '27

Ally is a first year Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara, where she finds particular joy in running, reading poetry, and admiring the sunset. She is elated to be a part of such an amazing group of writers, and she hopes, above all, that her work brightens your day.