diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Beauty Guru Tutorials Gone Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

So maybe it’s just me, but have you ever noticed how flawless beauty guru tutorials are? Whether it be perfectly tousled beach waves or winged eyeliner sharp as a blade, Youtubers in the beauty community apparently have a special talent that, after recreating these tutorials myself, I clearly lack.

I decided to try some pretty interesting beauty hacks that I’ve seen on Youtube. Some of the beauty gurus swear by these tips. As for me however, let’s just say: I failed. Miserably. 

Beauty Fail #1: Maxi Pad Curls

Yes, you read that correctly. As the title mentions, I put sanitary napkins in my hair in hopes that I would achieve flawless, bouncy curls overnight like the beauty guru I copied.  I’m pretty sure you know how this turned out. Cue the pictures. . .and my shame. 

The pitiful before shot. . .

The slightly less pitiful after shot.

And the comparison to the beauty guru.  

Can we talk about the difference in curl that is sooo obvious here?! Her curls look bouncy and luscious. Meanwhile I look like a wet poodle. Needless to say, I sported a messy bun the rest of the day.

Beauty Fail #2: Tape Contouring

As a low maintenance girl, I rarely wear makeup. Mostly because I can’t apply it correctly to save my life. I came across a beauty guru who promised a sharp, flawless contour by trying this method. It was definitely sharp, I can tell you that much.

Tape and contour in place. 

The beauty guru’s contour seemlessly blended.

Compared to my streaky mess. 

I used powder for my contour, while the beauty guru suggests using a cream contour, so from the get go I knew this wasn’t going to end well. As the contour on my cheek remained after furiously trying to  blend the color into my skin, I realized why following directions is an important life skill. Listen to the beauty guru or you’ll look like a zebra with stripes of contour powder slathered on your cheeks.

Beauty Fail #3: DIY Peel-Off Lip Stain

A rosy hued pout can never steer you wrong. A flush of color on your lips instantly adds a youthful radiance to your face and I definitely wanted that. So I watched another beauty tutorial, mixed some glue and red food coloring together and here’s what happened.

*Smiles awkwardly to avoid gluing lips together* 

This was the beauty guru’s result post-peel. 

And this was mine. 

I was actually quite happy with the color pay off. It gave my lips a pretty berry tone without the need for lipstick. The only downfall was having to keep my mouth open for 10 minutes to avoid gluing my mouth shut.

*sigh* The things we go through for beauty’s sake.

P.S. Baking soda and toothpaste are your holy grail for food coloring stains on your skin. Just take my word for it. 

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.