Arezu Hashemi: Your AS Representative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It doesn’t take very long after beginning a conversation with Arezu Hashemi to realize that this girl is destined for greatness. After getting involved with AS her first quarter at UCSB, she had the game all figured out.  By spring quarter, the Arezu was on the ballot with OPP, running for Off-Campus Senator.  With her friendly spirit, hilarious wit, and astonishing intelligence, its no surprise that our student body voted for this second-year history major from Beverly Hills to represent us in AS Senate. 

What is your role in AS and what does it entail?

I am an off-campus senator in AS. Senate is the policy-making body of AS. Being on senate requires a lot of hours on-the-job. We have weekly meetings, where we hear presentations of new legislations, review financial allocations and BCC minutes, and discuss future potential policies. I hold three office hours a week, attend BCC meetings, and keep an open line of communication with my constituents and my fellow senators.

What made you want to get involved with AS?

I was never really involved with anything in high school and I knew that I wanted to change that when I got to UCSB. I’ve always found student government appealing and after taking the AS tour during Freshman Orientation I knew it was something I wanted to pursue.

How did you go about getting involved?

I learned from that tour that there were many positions open for the upcoming year, so I applied to be a Public Health and Safety fellow under the Office of the President and I was granted the position. When I learned more about Senate and what it does, I felt that I was responsible and qualified enough to take on the position of senator. I reached out to Open People’s Party, the political party on campus that I felt best represented student views equally, and took steps in applying to get on their slate. The rest is history.

What do you hope for AS Senate to accomplish this year?

I hope that AS Senate accomplishes the changes that the students want to see on campus. As elected representatives, we need to be able to serve as the voices of those students who make their concerns heard and even those who do not. If Senate is able to make UCSB a more comfortable, friendly, and efficient campus, then I think our 2013-2014 Senate would have completed their duties successfully.

What is your favorite part about being on AS?

I have to say that I have two favorite parts about being on AS.  One is the amazing connections and friendships I was able to make. The other is being able to see thoughts and ideas transform into tangible results. As students, we have so much power in deciding how we want our school to be run and not enough people realize that.

Are you a part of any other organizations on or off campus?

Currently, I am Campue Representative for Taglit-Birthright Israel.  I recruit people to sign up for summer 2014 birthright trips to Israel.

What has been your favorite memory at UCSB so far?

Asking me to choose my favorite memory at UCSB is almost equivalent to asking me who my favorite Real Housewife is—near impossible. One memory that is up there, though, is singing Beyonce songs extremely loudly and off-pitch into Febreeze bottles acting as microphones with my freshman roommate Erica, and having one of the janitors in FT walk straight into our rendition of  “Love on Top”.  I think I laughed myself into a semi-coma that day.

What is your favorite thing about UCSB?

My favorite thing about UCSB is being able to live so close to all of my friends. I don’t know when I’ll ever be able to live with my best friends again and have my other really close friends live a few blocks away from me.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In ten years, I hope that I am healthy and happy. I see myself living in Los Angeles, where I am from, surrounded with people who love support me. Everything else is up to god

What is one thing you want to check off of your bucket list before you graduate?

I’ve always wanted to try paddle-boarding!

What is the secret to achieving your fabulous eyebrows?

Good old fashioned TLC baby.

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!