April Fools’ Day Pranks 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Now that all the fools have been fooled, it’s time to do some reflection on this year’s April Fools’ Day…

For starters, Google placed minion gifs into the emails of gmail users…and had to leave the April Fools’ Day party early due to complaints!

Expedia announced Ginge-Air; a premium airline both staffed by and catered just to redheads!

Hulu joined the dating community by “releasing” their dating app huludatr, which according to their ad, matches singles based on “compatible viewing preferences” – what you like to watch, where, and when” – and does “all of the work, so there’s no way you can sabotage your own happiness”.

According to Bustle, DogVacay (which is like an Uber for dog sitting) announced their release of “bras for dogs, a DogVacay book on 101 crafts to make from your dog’s fur, and HumanVacay (basically pet sitting but for humans)”. Yikes!

No fear cat lovers – the cats got attention too. Groupon offered to provide “expert feline readers” who would come to your house and read classic books to your cat. 

W hotels provided a room-sharing option, wPool, in which guests would receive a 75% if they shared a room with strangers. 

National Geographic stated, “National Geographic to Stop Publishing Nude Animal Pictures” and the subhead described, “The media group says that it will no longer degrade animals by showing photos of them without clothes”.

Check out the pictures of the cute animals dressed up here!

Meanwhile, things got personal for these two kids…

CNN described that Bathstore launched a new app to “drown out unwanted bathroom noises”. The new “Silent Loo app” lets you “choose from Tap, Shower, Costa Rican River or Tsunami and protect both modesty and the planet with one simple to use solution”. You can check out the ad here!

Lastly, WaterAid released a “Manpons” ad! They actually took advantage of April Fools’ Day to send the important message that access to sanitation is not granted to over 1 billion women. Hats off to you WaterAid. You can sign their petition here.

Until next year gals!

Cheyenne is a first-year UCSB student currently studying Communication and Environmental Studies. She is a third-culture kid who grew up in Dubai, UAE and therefore loves to travel and challenge the different social constructs that exist within our world. She enjoys writing, exercising, fashion, film, and is a total foodie. You can find her on Instagram @cheyennekab.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.