This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s time to defrost your inner Rory Gilmore and take a pause from STEM textbooks to instead engulf yourself in cozy fall reads that will perfectly accompany a hot cocoa and a “cold” Californian evening.

I enjoy a light summer read just as much as the next English major, but there’s something about balancing the anticipation of the start of a new school year with the perfect distraction from a book. Here is a glimpse into my favorites.

My Year Of Rest And Relaxation By Ottessa Moshfegh

Ottessa Moshfegh’s voice is wonderfully unique in this novel. The intricacies of the main character will have you thinking about her long after you finish reading, and not admirably, rather, you’ll be appreciating literature that doesn’t place its characters on pedestals. In reality, nobody’s perfect, and Moshfegh toes between lines of actively disliking and relating to her protagonist.

It deals with grave subjects through dry, blunt humor that you’ll feel strange for laughing at, but in reality, it replicates the unhinged humor of Gen Z that hasn’t really been explored until recently.

Ella Minnow Pea By Mark Dunn

Finding engaging books that I can easily make progress through is difficult, mainly because I’ve read so much in my life that I want to be wowed by something original and unpredictable.

This novel is so bizarre, but I say that in the best way. It centers around a town that is banning letters of the alphabet, and that reflects in the actual writing style. You go from reading entire chapters without uncommon letters like “q,” to letters like “t,” and you’ll be in disbelief every time another letter disappears.

It’s a shorter one on this list, but so strange and unique that I had to give it a mention. Upon reading it, you might find yourself inspired to think outside the box in a more creative fashion.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

It would be a crime not to include this novel within this list. I often describe it as the definition of fall. Tartt has effectively created an escape from reality through her endearing narrative. Somehow, I’ll find myself a few chapters deep and not able to conjure what could come next, or rather, what is left of the loosened plot to be solved, but I’ll still be enraptured by it page-by-page.

If you’re a fan of Dead’s Poet Society, I cannot recommend The Secret History enough.

The Imposter Lies Within By Sheryl Anjanette

Imposter Syndrome is something my friends and I struggle with every fall, especially when attending a high prestige university, and this is totally normal. The expectations pile up on students quickly, to the point where one doubts their true capabilities and intelligence!

This nonfiction piece focuses on recognizing and combatting Imposter Syndrome with helpful physical exercises that forces you to acknowledge and reassess your mindset. I find it particularly useful for fighting burnout, something that seems to plague me every time November takes its turn.

Last Night At The Telegraph Club By Malinda Lo

I often urge my friends and family to read pieces of media that take on an unfamiliar cultural or societal standing, and this is a novel I always seem to come back to. Not only is it set in the 1950s, it focuses on telling LGBTQ+ history from a Chinese American point of view.

The main theme of hiding sexual identities makes for a powerful read from our 21st century goggles. There is something so pure about reading a teenage, queer crush turn into something more, and is so engaging that I finished it within a week.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

For those who prefer a shorter read in length, Long Way Down is the perfect start to the world of verse. Composed entirely of pieces of prose, this novel solely takes place in an elevator, simple right? It explores the main character’s colossal grief for his brother, and the guilt that comes with familial protection expectations.

Genuine emotion floods the pages in ways that connected me to my very core of being human. It’s particularly interesting when read from the perspective of a woman familiar with the effects of toxic masculinity, as Reynolds dives into the influence on young boys to hold a strong facade.

East Of Eden By John Steinbeck

This one’s for my stressy, depressy gals because it’s definitely a heavier read.

I revisit East of Eden almost every year out of pure interest in discovering the new themes and symbolism Steinbeck embedded within. It seems there are endless surprises with each read, perhaps partially thanks to my growing perspective thanks to a college education.

As you can tell by the weighty length of the book, Steinbeck develops enriched descriptions of Salinas Valley, and deep insights into his characters. It’s with this that I find it perfect for fall because it awakens your analytical skills that are in their summer slumber. It sharpens and challenges the way you think that may be the push you need to think beyond the classroom.

This carefully-selected showcase is supposed to be timeless, so save the list for future years too! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to read something as quick as you can; as long as you’re enjoying and absorbing the substance, there is no race when it comes to reading for pleasure.

Alice is a freshman at UCSB studying English and French. Originally from England, she moved to California five years ago and loves her new home! When offline, she enjoys reading on the beach, devouring sushi, and singing poorly with friends on karaoke nights.