jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

America’s Best and Worst News of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

This week, our land of the free and home of the brave attained numerous achievements—some honorable and virtuous and others comically inconsequential. Let’s take a look at the what the US of A was up to this week…

Awards for America’s Most News-Worthy Events:

1. Women now legally permitted to serve in combat:

On Thursday, Leon E. Panetta signed an order at the Pentagon to allow women to serve in ground combat units for the first time in U.S. military history—a goal Panetta was determined to accomplish before resigning as secretary of Defense. Panetta’s order eliminates the last legal gender barrier in America’s armed forces. Women in service are now able to attain promotions and positions in higher ranks, promoting gender equality in a historically unequal division of labor. 

2. Rhode Island passes same-sex marriage bill:

This Thursday, the Rhode Island House of Representatives passed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, now leaving the bill’s legalization up to the vote of the Senate. Rhode Island is the only New England state that does not allow for same-sex marriage—if the Senate agrees to the House’s bill, New England will become a haven for legal same-sex marriage.

3. Hillary Clinton’s long-awaited testimony of the Benghazi attack:

On Wednesday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton responded to Republican critics’ controversial and combative questions regarding the September terrorist attack in Libya that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans, stating, “As I have said many times since September 11, I take responsibility.” Conservative Republicans criticized Clinton on the lack of security at the diplomatic compound in Benghazi, where four of our Americans were murdered. In addition, Clinton was questioned about the erroneous account that the U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice provided, claiming that the attack was a response to an anti-Islam film produced in the United States. 

4. U.S. says they will act on North Korea’s flagrant threats

The White House has signaled for new penalties after Pyongyang claimed that its missiles and nuclear program are planned to target the United States.

5. Obama names new White House chief of staff

President Obama has named Denis R. McDonough, his longtime aide as well as present principal deputy national security adviser, his new White House chief of staff. Obama expresses, “I have been counting on Denis for nearly a decade.”

Awards for America’s Largest Waste of Space in a Newspaper, Magazine, or Online News Source:

1. Lego has been accused of racism by Turkish community:

The Turkish community is furious over Lego’s Star Wars model as it supposedly resembles one of Istanbul’s most revered mosques. Austria’s Turkish community stated that the Star Wars model attempted to replicate the Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul, and that the model’s figures represented Eastern Asians as people with “deceitful and criminal personalities”…darn childhood games and their subliminal messaging.

2. Paula Deen’s family drops 178 lbs:

What happened to the butter??! Paula, her husband Michael, and her two sons Bobby and Jamie have lost a combined 178 lbs by each sticking to tailor-made diets and exercise routines. After receiving a diabetes diagnosis, facing a potential knee surgery, and combating countless health issues, the Deen family realized it was time to exchange the butter for low-carb, high-protein diets. I wonder if their newfound healthy lifestyles will affect their high-butter-high-fat-southern-style cooking shows…let’s hope not.

3. Gatorade removes flame retardant from their sports drinks:

Brominated vegetable oil, a synthetic chemical that has been patented in Europe as a flame retardent, has been removed from Gatorade and its rival Powerade. No wonder Olympians move so quickly—they’re trying not to catch on fire. Clever, Gatorade, very clever.

4. McDonald’s now serves certifiably sustainable fish:

After seeing images of the infamous Mickey D’s chicken nugget meat paste (which really looked like strawberry soft-serve), I don’t care how sustainable the fish is—it’s certifiably disgusting.

5. LL Cool J speaks out about home intruder:

Back in August 2012, LL Cool J spoke to the media about a burglar that broke into his L.A. home. However, what he failed to mention, until earlier this week, was he punched the intruder in the face, breaking his nose and jaw and rendering him immobile until the police arrived. LL Cool JJ may not be able to sing, rap, or act, but he sure knows how to whoop some butt. 

Good stuff, America. 

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.