This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

At ten years old, I was nothing more than braces, a frightful fringe, and a questionable singing voice. When Kathryn Harries appeared into my life over ten years ago, I could not have been in a more awkward place. I was insecure as could be and terrified to put myself out there, but I had a passion for singing that I wanted to explore. Kathryn saw something in me that I couldn’t quite see in myself. Little did she know the integral impact that she would have on me.

Not only on my musical journey—on my life.

I met Kathryn in 2010 when she was working as the Director of the National Opera Studio in London. With teaching always being a huge passion of hers, I was scooped into her world with no real clue of what I was doing. Through the years that followed, Kathryn had an impact on my life that I could have never expected. 

Kathryn grew up knowing that she always wanted to sing, but hated opera. She attended the Royal Academy of Music and taught under Elizabeth Ashton, whom she describes as “one of life’s most gifted music teachers.” Originally, Kathryn dreamed of working in television after earning her first role as a presenter of the BBC program Music Time.

It wasn’t until 1983 that she began her career in opera, despite having always seen it as “truly and horribly ghastly.” During Kathryn’s career, she has starred in over 60 roles from Carmen in Bizet’s Carmen to Didon in Les Troyens. Kathryn has performed at some of the most esteemed venues in the world: The Metropolitan Opera in New York, The Royal Opera House, and The Palais Garnier to name just a few 

Alongside her outstanding career in music, as well as raising her two children, Will and Toria, she put the rest of her time into heartfelt charity work. Kathryn has organized (and performed) at a plethora of concerts totaling sums of over £400,000. She also created the Opera Walk, raising money for ENO and WNO Benevolent funds by walking across the United Kingdom as well as being a Patron for the Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) and arranging fundraising walks annually. In 2019 Kathryn was beyond deservingly, awarded the OBE (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) for her outstanding services to opera and charity.

I asked Kathryn what it was like trying to balance her career with her family and whether she had to make sacrifices in either field.

I had my children before my career as an opera singer really took off. I was presenting the BBC TV program, Music Time, singing as a soloist in recitals, concerts, and oratorios and this gave me enough free time to balance home life and career relatively easily. Once I began my career as an opera singer in 1983, I employed a wonderful young nanny to look after Toria and William during the week. My then-husband and I needed her practical and professional support to make sure the children thrived and, whilst most of what I earned for the next few years went on childcare, she was worth absolutely every penny. 

I think I missed the kids more than they missed me when I was away and I made sure that I drove or flew home at every available opportunity. Trudi was with us until both children went to school and from then onwards, life became an interesting juggling act. 

I turned down several long-term contracts that would have taken me away from the family for far too long. That may have had a negative impact on my career but, for me, my family always came first. When one conductor offered me a two-year contract at Frankfurt Opera, I told him I had two little children and wouldn’t be able to accept. His answer was “We all have to make sacrifices!”  Well, I wasn’t prepared to sacrifice them at the altar of my career so I never did sing at that Opera House.

I then asked if there was a career highlight that stood out to her.

I’ve been fortunate to have many extraordinary moments in my career—standing in front of 10,000 people to take my bow after making my debut as Carmen in Orange remains with me very strongly. The joy of singing with a wonderful orchestra never lost its thrill and meeting remarkable people throughout my career was always a joy. 

Lastly, I asked whether Kathryn had any advice for female artists at the beginning of their journeys.

I think the music industry is even harder these days than it was when I was starting out. I would say to any female artist, learn your work as thoroughly as you can; if you’re a singer, perfect your technique so you can last for many years; always perform with honesty and passion; be a good colleague, believe in yourself and, very importantly, persevere—there will inevitably be setbacks, but you can learn from them. Musicians are fortunate in that their careers can last a lifetime—performers become teachers, adjudicators, and mentors. There is nothing more fulfilling than helping young people develop their potential – passing on the baton of knowledge is a genuine privilege. 

It is possible to have a loving and happy family as well as a professional career. Men and women do it all the time. It’s certainly challenging, but somehow, we humans are capable of incredible things. For me, Toria and William are my greatest achievements—no question!

Not only did she propel my music journey above and beyond what I could have ever dreamed, but her zest for life also sparked something in me that I will never lose. Never before had someone had so much faith in me when I hadn’t had faith in myself, or pushed beyond where I ever thought I could go. Kathyrn’s confidence and charisma are so infectious it’s impossible to not get wrapped up in them.

I was taught to always say yes, to never give up, and that when things get hard that’s when to push through. Most importantly she taught me to believe in myself (as corny as that sounds, I mean that very literally). She taught me to actually believe in what I was capable of and to never undersell myself. Although some of the confidence-boosting was exposure therapy at first, by the time I had finished studying with Kathryn, the stage felt like my safe space: something I never thought I would say. 

All of these ideologies have translated into my everyday life. When Kathryn walks into a room, every head turns. She holds a room, she walks with grace, her head held high as if she knows she deserves to be there, and demands the attention of the room. I want to take this forward. I want to be seen in the same way: to be graceful, witty, charming, and above all, authentic. With all of Kathryn’s esteemed titles and outstanding career highs, she is still the warmest and most supportive person I know.

I know that if my meek, timid ten-year-old self did not stumble into her world when she did, I wouldn’t be half the woman I am today. 

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!